At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Lilly is entering an exciting period of growth, and we are committed to delivering innovative medicines to patients around the world. Lilly is investing over $1 billion to create a new state-of-the-art manufacturing site, in Concord, North Carolina. The brand-new facility will use the latest technology to increase the company's manufacturing capacity in parenteral (injectable) medications, device assembly and packaging operations. This is an exciting once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help build and operate a new site. The Lilly Concord site will be built using the latest high-tech equipment, advanced highly integrated and automated manufacturing systems, and have a focus on minimizing the impact to our environment. This is an opportunity you don’t want to miss!
The Associate Director – Learning & Development will report to the Sr. Director of HR.
This position provides strategic direction for the business area/function and leadership for associated Learning and Development (L&D) personnel. This position is responsible for defining, creating, managing, and maintaining the Concord site learning strategy that drives and enhances organizational capabilities and ensures personnel qualification. This role is responsible for enhancing employees’ capabilities to meet site objectives, as well as ensuring that the processes for the development, review, approval, and delivery of training meet corporate and site quality standards. Additionally, the Associate Director will supervise performance advising for business partners to assess critical business needs and recommend learning solutions that address capability and competency gaps. The role is responsible for cross-functional collaboration and guiding where appropriate with other Lilly learning leaders. Also critical is working with business and learning governance bodies as required to deliver an effective learning strategy, maintain training and SOP compliance, and provide appropriate inputs for business planning.
To ensure innovative best training practices, this position will support other Concord site L&D training initiatives, as required. This position has responsibility for the development and implementation of the umbrella training procedure and policy. The Associate Director creates and maintains two-way communications with direct reports, peers, and functional management. This position manages the cost center budget. The L&D leader is responsible for ensuring Concord employees are trained and capable in technical, leadership, and operational tasks. This role is a leadership position with both leadership and individual contributor responsibilities. The position will have supervision responsibilities and it is expected to contribute as an L&D professional across multiple functions within the site as well.
Are you an inspirational leader with the ability to establish and maintain strong business relationships at all levels? Our L&D team is growing and building critical capabilities for Team Lilly. Bring this experience and leadership to our Lilly Concord site and help build something special!Key Objectives:
Ensure site employees are qualified, trained, and capable -
- Develop, maintain and improve business processes and metrics to ensure the training systems are in control and capable to meet customer and regulatory requirements
- Partner with business area/function leadership to define the following in alignment with quality, compliance, and ethics standards:Strategy for personnel qualification requirements.
- Strategy for evaluating effectiveness of learning interventions.
- Strategies for identifying, prioritizing, and funding performance improvement interventions.
- Partner in Network/Functional initiatives, ensuring appropriate alignment, replication, and sharing across MQ L&D
- Create controls/reports/structures ensuring all employees and contract workers are qualified and trained to perform their roles
- Develop processes and local control strategies to ensure that managers and employees can easily get the training that they need as efficiently as possible
- Lead performance improvement initiatives at the site to identify capability gaps, identify ways to fill those capabilities gaps through training, experience, or technology, then lead the implementation of those initiatives
- Evaluate the effectiveness of learning interventions and other related initiatives
- Collaborate to drive and influence internal L&D process improvements that impact results
- Promote use of existing resources, appropriate learning technologies, and appropriate suppliers to support performance improvement and system adoption
- Benchmark internally and externally to Lilly as appropriate, and drive performance improvement solutions as a result. Stay abreast of the breadth of learning solutions to prompt and influence business partners to adopt the most effective learning methods, solutions and outcomes
- Ensure alignment between the learning strategy, learning portfolio, and curriculum architecture for process efficiency, effectiveness, and support of personnel qualification
- Ensure instructor qualification processes are implemented and maintained
- Connect with auditors, inspectors, regulators, or outside partners on business issues as required and provide post-audit/inspection responses as needed
Lead Site Training initiatives -
- Champion and articulate the performance improvement vision and partner with the Management Team to move from a training & development environment to one of performance improvement
- Work as a team to partner with the business to proactively understand training needs
- Own and manage internal training processes and business systems
- Lead training initiatives and share best processes with other departments and vendors
- Propose new training courses, strategies, and curricula to build performance capability across the Concord site
- Partner with the central L&D organization to learn about cross-site and cross-functional L&D strategies that can be used at Concord
Manage and Lead Team and Services -
- Foster an inclusive workplace and engaged workforce
- Recruit and develop a diverse team; participate in MQ L&D talent management process as required
- Ensure that your team members clearly understand their roles and responsibilities, including the functional area to which they are assigned
- Ensure your team members are developing in their own capabilities as L&D professionals, including developing technology, training, and external perspectives
- Leverage Lilly’s supplier of learning services to achieve benefits of outsourced services for Lilly business results
- Anticipate and resolve raised issues.
- Ensure the team meets safety, compliance, quality and ethics expectations
- Ensure the tracking and monitoring of departmental metrics and assess business partner satisfaction
- Serve as the site point of contact for all communication with Lilly’s learning services supplier
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (such as, but not limited to Human Resources, Training, Education, Operations, Science, or Engineering)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience such as Learning & Development, SOP business processes or Leadership Development experience in a regulated environment
Additional Skills & Preferences –
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects (multi-task) in a fast-paced, highly regulated environment to meet aggressive timelines
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire change
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated skills in critical thinking and proactive strategic learning and development consultation
- Experience in developing SOPs and training materials for a greenfield site
- Ability and willingness to challenge business leadership regarding ways to use learning interventions to most effectively meet business requirements.
- Knowledge of regulations pertaining to training and development in a GMP environment
- Experience in manufacturing operations, manufacturing quality, or as a trainer in a manufacturing environment
- Experience supporting or participating in audits and inspections
- Experience using Success Factors or other Learning Management Systems
- M.S. degree in Instructional Systems Technology, Performance Technology, Adult Learning, or related experience
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.