Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those arent words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. Youll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
When you join BMS, you are joining a diverse, high-achieving team united by a common mission.
The Informatics and Predictive Sciences (IPS) mission is to Pioneer, Partner and Predict to drive transformative insights for patient benefit. IPS conducts applied computational research in areas that include genomic, structural and molecular informatics, computational and systems biology, patient selection and translational biomarker research, and broader fields including knowledge science, epidemiology and machine learningacross the full lifecycle of drug discovery and development and across all therapeutic areas at BMS. We do this in close partnership with scientific and clinical experts in the field, both inside and outside the company. We perform innovative science to empower key data-driven decisions across a rich pipeline of next-generation medicines. In doing so, our work transforms the lives of patients, as well as our own lives and careers.
Here, youll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities that are uncommon in scale and scope. Youll pursue innovative ideas while advancing professionally alongside some of the brightest minds in biopharma.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated research scientist to join our Sequencing Research and Genomics (SRG) team. The SRG team establishes integrated, innovative NGS capabilities across BMS Research and Early Development (R&ED) and enables drug discovery and clinical translation for patients through close collaborations. Work performed will contribute to therapeutic discovery and early translational research programs in immunology, cardiovascular, oncology, cell therapy and neurological indications.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and deploying novel -omics technologies to elucidate disease and therapeutic mechanisms during the early stages of drug discovery. The principal scientist will have the opportunity to develop novel NGS-based assays in areas such as functional genomics, CRISPR-based perturbation technologies, single cell multi-omics, and epigenomics. The role will involve close partnership with scientists from BMS R&ED to drive new experimental and data analysis strategies. This will include inter-disciplinary collaborations with experimental biology and computational genomics research colleagues to derive deep and robust insights from diverse genomics assays. This position is ideal for someone with demonstrated scientific expertise, a team player with a collaborative spirit, the ability to manage multiple projects while prioritizing tasks towards completion, and excellent communication skills.
- Collaboratively design and execute Genomics experiments to elucidate mechanisms key to disease state, identify and validate putative therapeutic targets, and support pre-clinical therapeutic response biomarker hypotheses using pre-clinical disease models and patient samples.
- Innovative research at the leading edge of NGS technology development, including implementation of novel NGS sample and library preparation protocols that are drawn from literature, academic and in-house collaborators, and are aligned to scientific research objectives.
- Implement Genomics workflows, guide on NGS library preparation and QC, liaise with computational research colleagues as well as early-stage discovery and translational scientists.
- Design and perform pilot experiments to test new protocols and assess new profiling platforms and external vendor capabilities.
- Contribute to the development and operation of internal next-generation sequencing and supporting infrastructures, including documentation of protocols developed, and supervision of technical support staff as required.
- Present strategies, approaches, results, and conclusions to BMS colleagues and external audiences to a publishable standard.
- Contribute to enable strategic collaborations with academic and commercial collaborators to benefit therapeutic programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in molecular and cell biology, genetics, biomedical engineering, biochemistry, or related discipline at a recognized higher-education establishment and 8+ years of academic / industry experience
- Or Master's Degree in molecular and cell biology, genetics, biomedical engineering, biochemistry, or related discipline at a recognized higher-education establishment and 6+ years of academic / industry experience
- Or PhD in molecular and cell biology, genetics, biomedical engineering, biochemistry, or related discipline at a recognized higher-education establishment and 4+ years of academic / industry experience
- Ph.D. or equivalent in molecular and cell biology, genetics, biomedical engineering, biochemistry, or related discipline at a recognized higher-education establishment
- At least 4 years of interdisciplinary research experience with focus on employing molecular or cellular profiling technologies for elucidation of human disease in academic or biopharmaceutical research environments.
- Expertise in performing innovative NGS technology development, hands-on experience of sample and library preparation, and knowledge of sequencing platforms, with demonstrable record of peer-reviewed publications and/or intellectual property in relevant areas.
- Experience in the use of NGS profiling methods to answer complex research questions in immunology, autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular diseases, cancer biology and/or cell therapy is highly desired.
- Experience in employing Functional Genomics tools (e.g. CRISPR-i/a, -KO) to perform high throughput perturbation and reversion screens at the genomic, transcriptomic and/or epigenomic level is desired. Demonstrated experience with techniques such as Perturb-seq, Optical Pooled screens, and/or arrayed CRISPR screens is preferred.
- Experience in the culture and manipulation of cell lines, iPSCs and iPSC-derived cells, primary cells and/or PDO models is desired.
- Experience in automation of NGS sample and library preparation, as well as diverse experience in genomics technologies such as single cell multiomics, spatial transcriptomics, liquid biopsy assays, diagnostic NGS assays, etc. is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of NGS assay and experimental design considerations, and familiarity with downstream bioinformatics approaches applied to process, analyze, visualize, and interpret NGS datasets is preferred.
- Awareness of contemporary LIMS schema, open-source bioinformatics tools and database structures is a plus.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature, and adaptability across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
The starting compensation for this job is a range from $121,000 - $167,200, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility).The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and where the job is performed.Final, individual compensation will be decided based on demonstrated experience.Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our careers site may vary based on the job and location. For more on benefits, please visit our BMS Career Site.
Benefit offerings are subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans then in effect and may include the following: Medical, pharmacy, dental and vision care. Wellbeing support such as the BMS Living Life Better program and employee assistance programs (EAP). Financial well-being resources and a 401(K). Financial protection benefits such as short- and long-term disability, life insurance, supplemental health insurance, business travel protection and survivor support. Work-life programs include paid national holidays and optional holidays, Global Shutdown days between Christmas and New Years holiday, up to 120 hours of paid vacation, up to two (2) paid days to volunteer, sicktime off, and summer hours flexibility. Parental, caregiver, bereavement, and military leave. Family care services such as adoption and surrogacy reimbursement, fertility/infertility benefits, support for traveling mothers, and child, elder and pet care resources. Other perks like tuition reimbursement and a recognition program.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesnt perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as Transforming patients lives through science , every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.