Annexon (Nasdaq: ANNX) is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company seeking to bring game-changing medicines to patients with classical complement-mediated diseases of the body, brain and eye. The classical complement cascade is a seminal pathway within the immune system that anchors and drives a host of autoimmune, neurodegenerative and ophthalmic diseases. Annexon is advancing a new class of complement medicines targeting the early classical cascade and all downstream pathway components that contribute to disease, while selectively preserving the beneficial immune functions of other complement pathways. Annexon is rigorously developing a pipeline of diversified product candidates across multiple mid- to late-stage clinical trials, with clinical data anticipated throughout 2023 and beyond.
Work Location: Hybrid - Remote assignment will be considered.
Annexon Bioscience is seeking a highly motivated Vice President of Research to lead Annexon’s research organization. The selected individual will provide leadership across discovery, preclinical and clinical research. The selected individual will be a member of the senior leadership team and contribute to pipeline prioritization, planning, strategy and implementation of research and discovery plans to the board of directors and key stakeholders.
- Work with the Executive Team to establish Annexon’s strategic research plan, supporting the company’s portfolio of existing programs and new initiatives in complement biology.
- Lead Research initiatives involving in vitro and in vivo pharmacology and collaborate with Translational Medicine to develop and evaluate clinical and preclinical biomarkers for precision medicine applications.
- Oversee external preclinical scientific collaborations in pursuit of new disease indications and target opportunities.
- Plan, develop, and prioritize Research efforts and ensure internal & external resources are effectively allocated, in alignment with Annexon’s overall objectives.
- Through strong interpersonal and presentation skills, good judgment, and ability to communicate with a diverse range of individuals, must be persuasive, able to build strong relationships and to distill complex information into a simple message for presenting to audiences of peers.
- Provide scientific guidance to the Research group; recruit, develop and retain key talent, while fostering and promoting a culture of research excellence and integrity.
- Understand and embrace Annexon’s values.
- PhD or MD-PhD degree in Immunology, Neuroscience, Biochemistry, or related field.
- Minimum 15 years industry experience in biotech/pharma, with specific experience in immunology and neuroinflammation. Rare disease experience is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated contributions to antibody and small molecule therapeutics through early discovery, research, and development.
- Relevant industry experience in leading therapeutic projects, managing and mentoring scientists, and establishing a track record of senior scientific leadership.
- Experience engaging scientific and medical leaders to obtain critical insights into molecular and therapeutic elements of target biology in order to shorten the time to clinical proof-of-concept.
- Ability to interact constructively with executive leadership, cross functional team members, partners and vendors.
- Comfortable with a hands-on approach to problem-solving in a fast-paced and dynamic small-company entrepreneurial environment.
Annexon Biosciences requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against the Covid-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. You will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon hire. The Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, BELONGING ARE IMPORTANT TO US
We believe that diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are essential for the strength of our business and the vitality of the communities we serve.
Internally, we want to make sure all employees feel welcome, appreciated and can be themselves at Annexon. We continually educate, inform and hold accountability for improving our diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts. We ensure that open and real dialogue happens on important diversity topics.
Externally, we continuously work to build our pipeline of underrepresented candidates for our workforce, enhance, recruit and develop a best-in-class, diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce; ensure that Black, LatinX and other underrepresented businesses have long-term sustainable opportunities to work with Annexon; and hold our vendors to the same standards under which we operate.
The anticipated starting salary for is this position is $324,000 to $335,000 per year. The starting salary for this position will be determined based on the candidate’s education, experience, transferable skills, licenses/certifications, location, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine the final compensation. The starting salary does not include any other potential components of the total compensation package, including bonus, equity, employer provided benefits, and perks.
Annexon Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status. We are proud to promote a work environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work.”
Annexon Biosciences doesn't accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm that doesn't have a signed agreement with Annexon Biosciences.