Sr Research Scientist II, Process Development
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionSr. Research Scientist II, Process Development
Gilead Sciences currently has an excellent opportunity for an experienced and highly motivated scientist to join our Process Chemistry group in the Pharmaceutical Development & Manufacturing (PDM) organization. With your commitment and drive, you will be part of a cross-functional drug development team whose goal is to develop curative medicines helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. With state-of-the-art research facilities and a team of experienced scientists who are passionate about developing drugs, the Process Chemistry group at Gilead empowers every chemist to take part in the act of innovation. You will see the tangible results of your contributions in this dynamic workplace, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through on-going development. Our science-focused pursuit of excellence and teamwork has resulted in break-through development of many life-changing novel marketed products which are benefiting millions of people. With a robust pipeline of drug candidates at every developmental stage at Gilead, you will make meaningful contribution to our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve the lives of patients with life-threatening diseases. Gilead's core values - Integrity, Inclusion, Teamwork, Excellence, Accountability - shape our culture and are the foundation of our future success. Challenge yourself and make a difference in the world - Make your mark at Gilead! Responsibilities & Skills:
- Responsible for developing chemical processes for the manufacturing of drug substances
- Proposes and implements new synthetic routes and improved reaction, purification, and isolation conditions
- Pays particular attention to scalability of reactions and processes
- Determines impurity formation, tracking, and purge and implements the subsequent mitigation
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables, requiring regular use of ingenuity and creativity
- Interprets scientific data, presents results, draws conclusions, and generates plan for next steps
- Works in collaboration with more senior scientists or scientific directors to advance the development of economical, state-of-the-art techniques to isolate, characterize, purify, and mass-produce substances
- Leads, advises and mentors members of project teams in the initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation, considering economic, environmental, regulatory and safety factors
- Makes contributions to scientific literature and conferences through publication and research presentations
- Maintains full working knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories, applying such knowledge to the direction that supports Company interests
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought in suggesting experimental design and strategy
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently, determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems and have strong organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as collaborative and problem-solving spirit
- PhD in Organic Chemistry with 7+ years preferred; or BS or MS degree with extensive industry experience
- Experience in planning and executing multi-step synthetic sequences
NOTE: Please Include Research Summary with Application
- Familiarity with relevant process chemistry and analytical methods and techniques
- Well-versed in scientific literature searching software (SciFinder, Reaxys etc.)
- Strong desire to work in multi-disciplinary teams, learn new skills and proactively solve problems
- Leadership and management experience desired
Gilead is an equal opportunity employer.
The salary range for this position is: $185,895.00 - $240,570.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.