Field Medical Director
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals Inc.
Field Medical Director
Ipsen is a dynamic and growing global specialty-driven biopharmaceutical company, focused on innovation and specialty care. At Ipsen, we’ve created a workplace that recognizes and promotes an entrepreneurial spirit in our employees, and are building a strong legacy of helping patients with difficult-to-treat diseases across oncology, neurosciences and rare diseases. We know we can only be better and smarter if we work diligently together as ONE Ipsen, across all functions and geographies. We strive to break down silos and empower teams to deliver effective therapeutic solutions through highly differentiated medicines for patients with unmet needs.
We take pride in our culture, which is rooted in collaboration, to deliver results for our core customer – the patient. This level of involvement by cross-functional teams promotes a strong sense of unity, and pulls together all colleagues locally and across our key geographies, which span 115 countries across North America, Europe and Asia. As a growing organization, Ipsen North America is comprised of our Cambridge, MA, Basking Ridge, NJ and Toronto, Canada locations, with employees supporting functions including Commercial Operations, R&D, Business Development and Technical Operations.
Our employees are the driving force behind our mission at Ipsen, and to sustain their passion and focus every day, we offer a wealth of fulfilling challenges and growth opportunities through unique leadership and training programs. At Ipsen, you will work alongside industry leaders and contribute within a fast-moving and truly game-changing global organization, recognized for its talent and patient solutions. At Ipsen, we’re making hope a reality for the patients we serve.
The Director of MSL is responsible for management, performance, coaching of MSL direct reports to ensure execution of Ipsen’s field medical plans, strategy & activities within US Medical Affairs (USMA). The Director works with the MSL Team to bring alignment & collaboration across the Therapeutic Area (TA). The Director oversees MSL Direct Reports scientific engagements & activities that support compliant engagements with Thought Leader/Healthcare Professional (TL/HCP. The Director supports MSL team vision, development & partnerships with Thought Leaders, Key Opinion Leaders, external & internal stakeholders.
The Director works with cross functional partners to support the MSL role and directs the Team on CRM operations, scientific insights, territory plan of action, TL/HCP scientific profiling, TL/HCP engagement strategy, digital technology, training, & congress planning. The role supports USMA by engaging with cross functional teams on business planning, special projects & lead strategic imperatives to support Medical Science field activities.
The Director directs MSL activities to ensure the highest ethical standards & compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, industry codes & the Ipsen Code of Conduct.
The Director of Medical Science Liaisons will demonstrate a strong medical strategic understanding, business acumen, & communication skills. The position requires excellent interpersonal skills, motivation, mentoring, strategic thinking, problem solving, planning, & organizational skills to demonstrate leadership & initiative.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct MSL Team within Therapeutic Area (TA) to optimize USMA strategy, field responsibilities, scientific knowledge & performance to support TL/HCP engagements
- Provide oversight to employee development, year-end & midyear reviews, expense management & time off
- Foster MSL Team culture of innovation, constructive challenge, team spirit & accountability
- Provide open, candid, & timely performance feedback to direct reports
- Direct MSL Team on development & implementation of TL engagement plans, profiling & tiering to ensure alignment with Ipsen SOP & Global MSL Policy
- Manage MSL performance including accomplishments towards USMA Goals & Objectives
- Evaluate MSL career pathway assessment & employee development planning
- Develop MSL Team on executive presence to deliver compliant scientific engagements
- Oversee MSL Team territory plans to ensure alignment with USMA Strategy
- Collaborate with TA MSLs to cultivate & maintain relationships with TL/HCPs
- Develop a proactive approach to recruitment, staffing & employee retention
Department Support & Team Development
- Participate as an active member of the Medical Affairs Field Leadership team with input into strategic process, development of MSL Team medical goals & objectives
- Partner with USMA Trainer to implement MSL TA Training Curriculum
- Represent MSL function on USMA & cross functional teams to support MSL role
- Participate in review & assessment of MSL Global programs to ensure local requirements & standards are fully satisfied
- Provide TA oversight of MSL team activities utilizing CRM analytics to monitor progress towards planned Goals & Objectives
- Interpret VEEVA CRM data to ensure compliant MSL field activities
- Provide input on annual budget & resource allocation for TA
- Direct TA MSL initiatives across functional areas, including Medical Affairs, Medical Affairs Operations, Research & Development, Clinical Operations, V&A & Commercial
Execution of Functional Plans
- Provide oversight of MSL Program that encompasses compliance, quality, performance, scientific standards, professional behavior & role qualifications
- Foster team approach to USMA activities that embrace scientific principles & Ipsen’s Values
- Understand & meet needs of product lifecycle management through resource deployment, meeting planning, & customer engagement strategies
- Manage & coordinate MSL Team meetings to support team building & execution of filed medical plans
- Lead development of MSL Goals & Objectives to support Corporate & USMA medical plans
- Ensure USMA activities comply with Ipsen business guidance, policies, SOPs, OIG, FDA, & PharMA guidelines
- Identify opportunities to leverage Global & National resources to positively impact customer scientific needs
- Advanced scientific degree required, doctorate level clinical/medical degree (e.g., MD, DO, PharmD, PhD, Nursing doctorate)
- Degree in life science background is required
- 8 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry and/or relevant clinical experience with at least 5 years in a MSL function
- Strong understanding of US pharma rules and regulations, particularly as they apply to MSL activities; able to develop, coach & oversee a highly compliant MSL function
- Experience in team management
- Experience with developing, reporting, & tracking MSL performance
- Experience with managing departmental projects & resources
- Experience with managing & developing relationships with TL/HCPs
Core Competencies (Specific knowledge, skills and abilities that enable an individual to effectively perform the job)
- Strong leadership skills with experience developing & leading others
- Ability to work across multiple functions & cultures & embrace team diversity
- Strong verbal & written communication skills, presentation, & coaching skills
- Strategic mindset with ability to identify & create solutions to various scenarios
- Excellent interpersonal skills & problem-solving capabilities
- Experience with organizational skills & business planning
- Proven project management & matrix team leadership, tracking & reporting of outcomes
- Strong organizational skills & ability to deal with competing priorities
- Strong reasoning & creative solving skills
- Ability to travel ( up to 40%) & has a valid driving license
- Strong knowledge of US PhRMA, OIG, FDA rules & regulations as they apply to MSL activities & guidelines relating to compliant medical engagements
- Proven ability to work in & embrace a fast-paced & dynamic work environment with a high level of autonomy
IPSEN is an equal opportunity employer that strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.