CSL Behring in Kankakee, Illinois has grown into a global biotechnology leader, motivated by that same promise to save and improve lives. We offer the broadest range of quality plasma-derived and recombinant therapies in our industry. We have recently been awarded America's Best Employers for 2022 by Forbes magazine.
Provide leadership and direction to the Maintenance, Manufacturing and Utilities Engineering Programs. Implement strategy in alignment with functional goals and key Maintenance, Reliability Engineering, and Engineering objectives. Develops key objectives for global Maintenance Excellence Program and SAP Maintenance Program. This individual will work closely with a cross-functional leadership team to meet the needs of the groups supported.
Role that this position reports to: Director, Utilities Engineering
Role/s that report to this position: Reliability Engineers, Support Reliability Group
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Provide strategic leadership and guidance in compliance and operational improvement of equipment systems based upon pharmaceutical industry trends and emerging technologies.
2. Ensure the Reliability Program is developed and implemented:
Maintenance strategy and plans for new and modified equipment
Management of CMMS data integrity and execution of Reliability Centered Maintenance Improvements
Continuous Improvement of maintenance PM’s, BOM’s and Spare Parts for accuracy, efficiency and in support of compliance with applicable regulations.
Works on problems of complex scope where analysis of scenarios or data involves multiple competing factors
3. Manage and monitor KPI’s:
Ensure compliance with site and global indicators
Measure and report reliability performance
Demonstrate success of preventative maintenance improvements through performance reports, dashboards and metrics
4. Serve as functional lead for initiatives and strategy development related to Integrated Facilities Management (IFM) and Maintenance, Repair and Operations (MRO).
Accountable for support all global level processes, policies, procedures, and execution related to Maintenance, Utilities, Facility and Engineering Reliability. Provides global governance support for the Maintenance Excellence Program in pursuit of best-in-class Maintenance and Reliability Engineering practices. Establishes analytical tools and reporting methods for network standardization.
5. Conduct analysis of system maintenance process and perform reliability studies:
Use of reliability tools and processes such as Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
Uses data to recommend improvements based on CMMS, FMEA, RCA and systems reliability data
Analyze equipment trends ensuring the maintenance program is effective
6. Provide technical expertise and support:
Ensure that the Preventative / Predictive Programs and Maintenance Planning Processes are executed
Evaluate new technologies (predictive tools) to be used by technicians and engineers
Accountable to effectively apply PdM technologies and non-destructing testing to minimize unscheduled/scheduled maintenance downtime
Possess strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures
7. Provide engineering support to address operational / compliance issues and to ensure equipment is maintained at a level required to provide high reliability maximizing useful life.
8. Recommend and implement measures through global initiatives to improve equipment that support manufacturing operations in a dynamic, fast-paced cGMP, biotechnology environment.
9. Participate daily in leadership meetings providing technical support in all matters pertaining to operations and maintenance of the equipment systems.
10. Maintain clear communication with the Director of Utilities regarding goals, projects, planning, and overall performance of the Utilities.
11. Responsible for development of the department, placing a high priority on developing others through coaching, feedback and developmental goals where team members experience personal and professional growth.
12. Foster a culture of continuous improvement through employee selection, training and mentoring while focusing on operational efficiency and the elimination of “non-value added” activities.
13. Technical Representative for Regulatory Agency audits.
14. Complies with requirements from CSL Behring’s Safety Program, including Health and Safety mandates and OSHA requirements.
15. Completes any other duties/responsibilities assigned by senior management.
Position Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering preferred or B.S. degree in an Engineering related field.
Certified Maintenance & Reliability Professional, preferred
Certified Reliability Engineer, preferred
7+ years of experience in an engineering management role in support of a large industrial, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or FDA regulated facility
Demonstrated knowledge of Reliability Engineering concepts such as TPM, RCM, RBI, FMEA and RCFA experience with process improvement principles such as Lean and/or Six Sigma
Demonstrated experience in Vibration Analysis, Ultrasound Scanning, Infrared Scanning, Oil Analysis, Eddy Current, Liquid Penetrating testing, Dynamic/Static Motor Current testing, etc
Proficiency in Power BI is a plus
Experience with Quality Management and Change Control Systems.
Knowledge of computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS).
Functional knowledge of cGMPs and manufacturing operations in FDA regulated facility
Knowledge & experience in the operations and maintenance of utility systems
Knowledge of manufacturing processes
Strong Leadership skills
Financial experience with high level budgetary responsibilities
Computer skills: MS Office Suite, MS Project, and AutoCAD.
We encourage you to make your well-being a priority. It’s important and so are you. Learn more about how we care at CSL.
About CSL Behring
CSL Behring is a global leader in developing and delivering high-quality medicines that treat people with rare and serious diseases. Our treatments offer promise for people in more than 100 countries living with conditions in the immunology, hematology, cardiovascular and metabolic, respiratory, and transplant therapeutic areas. Learn more about CSL Behring.
We want CSL to reflect the world around us
As a global organisation with employees in 35+ countries, CSL embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. Learn more about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at CSL.
Do work that matters at CSL Behring!