Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those arent words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. Youll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
When you join BMS, you are joining a diverse, high-achieving team united by a common mission.
BMS encompasses a broad range of disciplines to enable a robust pipeline of drug candidates aimed at serious diseases. Chemistry is a core capability in Small Molecule & Drug Discovery with innovative scientists working in medicinal chemistry, radiochemistry, analytical chemistry, and large-scale synthesis. Within SMDD our Lead Discovery and Optimization (LDO) team is responsible for high throughput screening, compound storage and distribution, primary assays to support discovery programs, and compound profiling to explore drug liabilities in vitro.LDO scientists discover and adopt cutting edge assay technologies that utilize state-of-the-art automation to drive speed and efficiency. Our Molecular Structure and Design team embraces novel approaches to computer-aided drug design, machine learning, and structural biology. The integration of these disciplines provides a seamless and highly interactive environment for discovery scientists to learn, develop, and innovate. Working in partnership with our disease area experts in the Thematic Research Centers provides an exciting pathway to discover and deliver medicines to patients in need.
Here, youll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities that are uncommon in scale and scope. Youll pursue innovative ideas while advancing professionally alongside some of the brightest minds in biopharma.
Our Molecular Structure and Design (MS&D) is looking for a Scientist Cheminformatics/Scientific Systems Engineer in Drug Discovery to join our team
The Cheminformatics team within Bristol Myers Squibb is seeking an exceptional scientist with an interest in the intersection of high-performance computing, cheminformatics, data science and scientific python programming. The successful candidate must have broad knowledge of modern data science techniques, Linux, queueing systems, hybrid cloud computing, shell scripting, and python development combined with the scientific background to interface with collaborative scientists from a broad array of backgrounds.
Key objectives for this position will include:
- the installation, support and lifecycle management of commercial scientific software relevant to computer assisted drug design (CADD),
- supporting our growing portfolio of CADD, Cheminformatics and Machine Learning models deployed to chemists and therapeutic project teams
- the evolution of our high-performance computing infrastructure
- acting as a liaison with our enterprise IT organization.
The selected candidate will join a research team with a track record of pipeline impact across modalities and across therapeutic areas. This is an enabling position and an exciting opportunity as we combine the best of physics-based modeling with data analytics and machine learning to accelerate drug discovery and bring benefit to patients.
Bachelors Degree with 5+ years of academic / industry experience
Masters Degree with 3+ years of academic / industry experience
PhD with no experience required
- Ph.D. in relevant fields with a focus in high performance computing, machine learning development and applications to molecular design.
- Postdoctoral or industry experience a plus.
- Experience in shell scripting, linux clusters, cloud computing and queueing systems such as Altair Grid Engine is critical.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and excellent communication skills are a must.
- Experience in installing and maintaining a large portfolio of commercial software is a benefit.
- Experience in machine learning or artificial intelligence work is beneficial, with cheminformatics, computational chemistry, and/or molecular modeling experience a plus.
- Proficiency in programming and scripting languages such as Python and/or C/C++.
- Expertise in a subset of machine learning and cheminformatics libraries, such as TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, DeepChem, RDKit or OEchem is a plus.
- This position will be operating in a multidisciplinary environment and a willingness to collaborate across functional teams is essential.
- An aptitude and desire to learn and apply new techniques is expected as well as personal attributes of integrity, creativity, problem solving, and a strong work ethic.
For California Sites - The starting compensation for this job is a range from $97,000 $135,300, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility). The starting pay takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and where the job is performed. Final, individual compensation is decided based on demonstrated experience. For more on benefits, please visit our BMS Careers site. Eligibility for specific benefits listed in our careers site may vary based on the job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesnt perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as Transforming patients lives through science , every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.