AbbVie’s Genomics Research Center (GRC) and R&D Convergence Core Team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Computational Biologist as Director of GRC Digital and Data Strategy.
Through Convergence, AbbVie is creating integrated R&D data and analytics capabilities that power data-driven insights – fueling better, faster decisions and therapies for patients. This effort integrates historically distinct disciplines and technologies into a unified whole through data, sparking unprecedented insights to enable AbbVie's mission of improving the lives of our patients.
AbbVie’s GRC is a center of excellence for bioinformatics, functional genomics, and human genetics and works across all R&D including discovery and clinical development, and multiple areas such as process sciences, global epidemiology, search and evaluation, and corporate strategy.
The Director will lead and define the Convergence (Data Integration) effort for the GRC function. He/she will help define Convergence data integration strategies and advance GRC priorities while maintaining alignment with the overarching R&D Convergence data integration framework and priorities. The successful candidate will act as a key member of the R&D Convergence Core team responsible for defining and executing the R&D Convergence strategy and represent GRC in cross-functional R&D discussions and decision-making forums related to Convergence data integration. He/she will collaborate with scientists within the GRC and across R&D to identify and lead projects involving the aggregation and analysis of large data sets to identify key trends and insights that advance scientific understanding. A key focus of this role will be ensuring that projects create a substantial return on investment, meaningfully impact the advancement of the AbbVie pipeline of new medicines, and further key GRC or R&D priorities.
This position reports to the Head of R&D Convergence with a matrixed reporting line to the Director, Computational Genomics within the GRC. This position is based out of our North Chicago Headquarters.
- Influence applicable leadership, strategies, and investments in alignment with the R&D Convergence data integration vision.
- Translate functional area business challenges and scientific questions into hypotheses that can be tested using data analytics to drive new learning.
- Partner with R&D Computational Scientists, Data Scientists, and technology teams to advance complex and/or highly novel use-cases with cross-functional dependencies.
- Identify opportunities and solutions to unleash the full value of Convergence data integration within the GRC at an accelerated pace.
- Lead matrix teams including scientists, data scientists and MD’s at all levels of the technical and medical career ladders.
- Lead Convergence data integration projects within the GRC, allocate resources, manage the budget, and ensure appropriate area expertise.
- Act as a conduit between the R&D Convergence Core Team and subject matter experts and data scientists within the GRC to transfer innovation, knowledge, best practices, and lessons learned.
- Become an active member of the community of R&D Convergence Directors across other R&D functions and enable cross-pollination of ideas for broader R&D implementation.
- Act as a consultant within the GRC to help identify where Convergence data integrations and analytics approaches can help answer questions.
- Influence the talent strategy within the assigned function/therapeutic area to continually enhance the digital skills and acumen of scientists and leaders to align with the Convergence data integration strategy.
- Ph.D in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Biostatistics, or related field. with approximately 8-10 years of industry experience; at least 3 years of experience enabling data analytics and insights.
- Experience in multiple R&D functions and data domains (e.g., preclinical, genomic, clinical, safety, regulatory, real world data, etc.). Considered to have in depth knowledge of drug discovery and development.
- Demonstrated excellence and success in leading data integration and analytic programs to major milestones or insights.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to collaborate across multi-disciplinary teams and leading and navigating in a matrixed organization.
- Robust understanding of the data analytics value chain from data to decision.
- Proven experience with successfully enabling new digital or data science capabilities that are beyond incremental extensions of the current capabilities.
- Advanced knowledge of machine learning techniques, predictive modeling, statistical methodologies, and visual analytics.
- Experience with “big data” technologies such as Hadoop, Cloud Computing, and related technologies.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.