About Maze Therapeutics
Maze Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company that is harnessing the power of human genetics to transform the lives of patients, with a focus on genetically informed therapies for common diseases such as chronic kidney disease. Maze applies variant functionalization in tandem with advanced data science methods and a robust suite of research and development capabilities to advance a pipeline of novel precision medicines. Maze has developed the Maze Compass Platform TM, a proprietary, purpose-built platform to understand and integrate the critical step of variant functionalization into each stage of drug development. Utilizing the Maze Compass PlatformTM, Maze is building a broad portfolio of wholly owned and partnered programs. Maze is based in South San Francisco.
Maze is comprised of a team of passionate and creative professionals committed to discovering and delivering transformative medicines to patients suffering from both rare and common genetic diseases. We are fostering a culture that encourages vision, initiative and the development of talent. Our supportive work environment inspires creative thinking and freedom of expression, resulting in a stimulating atmosphere where people enjoy coming to work. While we have a passion for advanced science and pride ourselves on excellence in execution, ultimately, everything we do is about patients.
Our Core Values
Further Together – Our path is paved with challenges, but with resilience and a team-first mentality, we’ll achieve our mission.
Impact Obsessed – We embrace the bold, take calculated risks, and learn from our mistakes to improve the lives of others.
Stand True – Our integrity is foundational; it guides us no matter the obstacle.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated hands-on Director of Cloud Platform Engineering to help lead in the development and growth of our genetic discovery platform. The successful candidate will join a team of computational biologists, systems architects, and automation engineers to mobilize genetics and functional genomics data towards the discovery of new therapeutic targets and drugs. You will find creative solutions to complex data and computational challenges, overseeing external vendors, to guide the implementation and maintenance of cloud software infrastructure at Maze.
You will be reporting to the VP of Data Science.
Your Impact Includes:
- Designing, building, and maintaining the software development ecosystem for the company
- Implementing production-quality, cutting-edge analytical methods, scalable bioinformatics, and genomics pipelines in collaboration with Translational Genomics, Research Biology and Drug Development groups
- Designing, deploying, and maintaining robust tools for data management, analysis, and communication
- Managing relationships with the vendors, consultants, and contractors who will help with software development and maintenance
- Communicating complex software and data concepts and results to both internal and external audiences, and contributing to open-source and collaborative projects
- Advanced degree (or equivalent experience) in computer science, software engineering, data science or other scientific field that has relevance to high-dimensional biological data (e.g., genetics, genomics, imaging)
- Extensive experience in the use of a high-level programming language (particularly Python, R/Bioconductor or C/C++)
- A proven track record of managing vendors and applying best practices for DevOps, particularly in continuous integration/continuous deployment; building and deploying Docker and familiarity with Kubernetes; certification in (or equivalent experience with) AWS cloud services
- Familiarity with Illumina sequencing technologies (including alignment, variant calling and annotation methods) or other high-dimensional biological data
- Demonstrated ability to understand engineering needs from multiple functions and an eagerness to work in a fast-paced, highly matrixed environment; experience working and communicating with scientific teams; strong communication, data presentation and visualization skills
- A detail-oriented approach to projects, experience with troubleshooting and optimizing software systems, and a demonstrated drive to raise the bar with every project
- Familiarity with statistical modeling, and machine learning preferred
The expected salary range for this role for employees located in the San Francisco Bay Area $230,500 - $248,000. Additionally, this position is eligible for an annual performance bonus.
Maze performs position-based compensation benchmarking to industry market data to ensure we pay competitive wages. Determination of starting salary will depend upon a variety of job-related factors, which may include professional experience, skills and job location. The expected salary range for this role may be modified in the future.
Maze offers a robust benefits package to our eligible employees including competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health offerings, equity incentive plan, 401(k) program with employer match and a generous holiday and PTO policy.