Scientist II, Cell Therapy and Immunology
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced scientist with expertise in human immunology and cell therapy product development to join Nurix’s Adoptive Cell Therapy (NxACT) Research and Development Group at San Francisco under the direct supervision of the VP of Cell Therapy.
Nurix is devoted to unlocking the therapeutic potential of the ubiquitin proteasome system (UPS) in oncology, immuno-oncology and other therapeutic areas. The successful candidate will support Nurix’s immuno-oncology program by translating innovative research and development programs to cGMP manufacturing and play a leading role in research design and execution, next generation therapeutic cell product developments, support IND filing and clinical protocols development and liaison with Nurix discovery biology and translational science team.
The successful candidate will have industry experiences from early-stage discovery to preclinical studies in a fast-paced, matrix environment. Candidates will have advanced knowledge and experience in human immunology, molecular biology, and cell therapy. This individual will work closely with an experienced team of interdisciplinary scientists and will have regular opportunities to present findings and opinions to project teams and senior management. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, goal-driven, resourceful, team player and accountable for delivery. The candidate will report to the VP of cell therapy.
Key responsibility and accountabilities
- Responsible for research project design, planning, execution, timely data generation, presentation and study report drafting.
- Collaborating with small molecule R&D group and process development team to optimize next generation adoptive cell therapy product process into product developments.
- Play a critical role in evaluate Nurix drug product candidate biologic function under pathological and physiological conditions. Report findings and provide recommendation to next level decision making.
- Responsible for establishing cell therapy product process SOP, process quality control, product profile, support technology transfer, and interaction with our contract manufacturers, aiming for registration.
- Execute sophisticated analytical assays to characterize immume cell function and phenotype including TCR repertoire analysis and flow/imaging cytometry
- Manage process technical transfer including generating supportive documentation, training, and technical support to Manufacture or CDMOs.
- Contribute to creative solutions for streamlining integrated development plans, manage and develop budgeting, and to manage risk in collaboration with other teams within the organization.
- PhD with 5+ years of pharma industry and cell therapy product development experience. Terminal Degree with emphasis in cell biology, immunology, molecular biology, bioengineering, cancer biology or related field is preferred.
- Previous experience managing/mentoring scientists in a laboratory setting
- Technical understanding and experience in biopharmaceutical process manufacturing operations in an industrial cGMP environment.
- Strong background in human immune cell culture hands on experience with bioreactors and cell separation systems is required.
- Experience in TIL/CAR-T cell culture technologies (GREX, CliniMACS, Prodigy, Sepax, Fresenius/Kavi-Lovo, etc.) and/or process analytical technologies is a plus.
- Excellent communication, technical writing and presentation skills and the flexibility to work on multiple projects as needed.
- The successful candidate will be strongly aligned with Nurix’s culture and values; he/she will be team-oriented and highly collaborative with a hands-on approach.
- Passionate in cell therapy innovation, self-driven, and work independently and as a team, thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.