GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com
The Senior Systems Engineer coordinates, manages and implements technical engineering support for a variety of process automation hardware, software applications, and laboratory instruments to support smooth production lab operations. The Senior Systems Engineer will interact with scientists, software developers and end users to transfer and continuously improve to implement robust automated solutions into day-to-day laboratory operations. The ideal candidate will be experienced in liquid handling robotic platforms, software integration and supporting complex systems as well as setting up support processes in a regulated production setting with cross functional teams.You will:
Your qualifications and experience will include:
- Support, troubleshooting and improving existing automated systems activities in a regulated production lab and prioritizing activities
- Be the technical lead for support of lab automated platforms
- Take a lead in implementing process and workflow systems to support complex automated process in a regulated production lab
- Optimize existing automated processes to improve efficiency, throughput, robustness and quality
- Manage/support the installation, facility acceptance test and validation of the new and or revised equipment, automated systems to ensure quality compliance and user requirements
- Author, execute and document test plans and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for automated workflowsCoordinate with different multi-functional team members and execute projects in a timely manner
- Recommend and implement changes to ensure ongoing high-quality performance of laboratory equipment
- Monitor and evaluate new and emerging technologies in laboratory automation systemsPerform other duties as assigned
- B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology, chemistry, engineering or a related field
- Minimum of 5 years hands on experience in integrated automated solutions and liquid handling platforms
- Minimum of 2 years experience supporting regulated labs
- Experience managing cross functional projects and implementing new workflow processes
- Proficiency in both writing and optimizing scripts on automated liquid handling platforms (e.g., Hamilton, Tecan, Beckman, etc.)
- Experience with LIMS and software integration
- Experience with writing and executing test protocols
- Working knowledge of clinical laboratory operations and activities
- Analytical, creative thinker and ability to solve problems
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Able to work independently and as part of a teamExcellent written and communication skills
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us
to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.
Following extensive monitoring, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL US has made the decision to require that all U.S. employees be “Fully Vaccinated” with the COVID-19 vaccine. “Fully Vaccinated” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine (e.g. Pfizer or Moderna) or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine (e.g. Johnson & Johnson) has been administered. Absent a qualifying exemption, all GRAIL US employees are to comply with this requirement, including providing documentation of such vaccination status, as a condition of employment. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation for consideration by GRAIL.