Counsel, Corporate Legal (Medical Affairs Contracts)
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California. Our Corporate Legal team consists of 40+ smart, collegial, and team-oriented attorneys and non-attorney legal professionals that provide day-to-day contracting and transactional support to Gilead's business units, including research, development, manufacturing, commercial, facilities, IT and G&A; support on M&A and other strategic transactions; and securities. The team works closely with colleagues in IP, vendor outsourcing, IT security, privacy and other legal and functional groups to deliver high-quality contracting and transactional support to Gilead's many business teams, and, in turn, help those business teams execute on Gilead's mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Counsel, Corporate Legal (Medical Affairs Contracts)Gilead Sciences is seeking a Counsel to join our growing Corporate Legal Team. We are looking for an attorney with experience in negotiating, reviewing and drafting Medical Affairs contract matters to support Gilead's corporate operations. Reporting to the lead lawyer for the Medical Affairs Legal Group within Corporate Legal, this role primarily supports the drafting and negotiation of contracts for the Medical Affairs organization, including but not limited to Data Transfer Agreements, Collaboration Agreements, Master Service Agreements, Work Orders and Change Orders, and Confidentiality Agreements. Additionally, the attorney may have opportunities to support other types of contracts handled by the contracts department, as needed.Specific Responsibilities and SkillsThis individual will be responsible for, among other things:
RequirementsIn light of these responsibilities, the ideal candidate will have:
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a full range of medical affairs contracts typical of a biotech or pharmaceutical research organization, including data transfer agreements, grant agreements, agreements with governmental entities, collaboration agreements, development and supply agreements, vendor services agreements, and related agreements.
- Preparing master services agreements, consulting agreements, confidentiality agreements, and other commercial agreements in support of our Medical Affairs organizations.
- Advising client groups on various legal concerns including, intellectual property and data security and privacy issues, identifying and explaining legal and business risks for the business teams, and partnering with the business teams to ensure the efficient resolution of issues.
- Reviewing contracts, identifying issues, and discussing questions or suggestions with senior attorneys, client and/or contract specialists.
- Developing and improving templates and procedures to drive efficiencies in the legal review process.
- Analyzing non-standard, complex problems based on experience and making recommendations on how to proceed.
- Timely advising clients and other attorneys on higher risk issues and proposing alternative legal terms and solutions to senior counsel and/or the client for presentation to the client or opposing counsel.
- Promptly escalating legal issues to a higher level where appropriate but typically handles most contract legal matters from beginning to end.
- Clearly explaining contract terms to clients and how they affect the business.
- Collaborating with members of legal department, other business partners (tax, finance, and risk management) and internal client departments.
- Advising on and resolving transactional negotiation escalations and potential contract disputes.
- Maintaining and improving productive and efficient ways of working with a wide range of cross-functional colleagues and subject-matter experts.
- Expertise in drafting, negotiating and interpreting a wide range of medical affairs contracts as well as general commercial and vendor agreements, such as master services agreements, consulting agreements and confidentiality agreements;
- Experience developing and implementing contract processes and knowledge resources, such as contract templates, playbooks, back-up provisions, client guidance, and team and client training materials;
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, written and presentation skills;
- A high degree of client service orientation and ability to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent, complex situations and demanding clients;
- Willingness and ability to coordinate activities of many stakeholders across various departments, not only within the company's headquarters in Foster City, but also throughout the company's international organization;
- Must be able to set appropriate priorities with clients and deliver results within the established timelines, including, proactively and independently inquire and take ownership to answer internal client questions even when minimal information, direction, and/or policies are available;
- Experience using a contract lifecycle management software (e.g., Apttus);
- Knowledge of Gilead's business and the pharmaceutical industry in general, including knowledge of regulations governing the pharmaceutical industry;
- Minimum of 4-8 years of prior in-house or law firm relevant experience providing legal counsel on medical affairs related agreements in the biotech, pharmaceutical, or medical research areas;
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent advanced degree from a nationally accredited law school; and
- Admission to the California state bar, registration as in-house counsel, or ability to gain admission or registration for either within 90 days.
- Experience with SaaS and software licensing agreements as may be ancillary to medical affairs arrangements with third parties is a big plus.
The salary range for this position is: $199,835.00 - $258,610.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.