Director, Scientific Communications and Publications, Neuroscience
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals Inc.
Director, Scientific Communications and Publications, Neuroscience
Ipsen is a dynamic and growing global specialty-driven biopharmaceutical company, focused on innovation and specialty care. At Ipsen, we’ve created a workplace that recognizes and promotes an entrepreneurial spirit in our employees and are building a strong legacy of helping patients with difficult-to-treat diseases across oncology, neurosciences, and rare diseases. Our employees are the driving force behind our mission at Ipsen, and to sustain their passion and focus every day, we offer a wealth of fulfilling challenges and growth opportunities through unique leadership and training programs. You will work alongside industry leaders and contribute within a fast-moving and truly game-changing global organization, recognized for its talent and patient solutions. At Ipsen, we’re making hope a reality for the patients we serve.
Ipsen’s Neuroscience Medical team enhances the understanding of unmet patient needs and the scientific and clinical impact of marketed and pipeline neuroscience/neurotoxin products. The Director, Scientific Communications and Publications is responsible for providing strategic leadership and digital innovation in medical communications, congress planning, and publications. As such, this role is accountable for shaping the scientific narrative and leading all aspects of medical communications/publications strategic and tactical planning related to key company scientific data to be presented internally and externally. This position reports to the Head of US Medical Affairs, Neuroscience.
The Director, Scientific Communications and Publications will be part of the US Medical Affairs Neuroscience leadership team and will be actively involved in strategy development to support Medical and cross-functional goals and objectives. This position will serve as a key collaborator with Global Medical Affairs for coordination of congress and publication planning. This position will also have external vendor oversight in managing the planning and execution of scientific communications and publications.
To be successful, the Director, Scientific Communications and Publications must demonstrate business acumen and a strong ability to align scientific communications and delivery channels with medical objectives and cross-functional strategic imperatives for Ipsen’s neuroscience products. In addition to strong neuroscience disease area and therapeutic landscape knowledge, the position requires excellent interpersonal skills, strategic thinking, problem solving, planning, and organizational skills to demonstrate leadership and drive for results.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drive an integrated Scientific Communications strategy that is aligned with the brand strategy and medical strategy and meets the needs of patients and health care providers
- Ensure the successful execution of the Scientific Communications strategy, including publications (abstracts, posters, manuscripts), congresses (medical booth, symposia), digital content, and Field Medical materials.
- Collaborate with Global Medical Affairs and other functions (e.g., public affairs) as well as other departments (e.g., commercial) to ensure the Scientific Communications strategy for the brand/disease state portfolio is aligned cross-functionally
- Manage relationships with external authors in the preparation and review of publications for assigned projects, including the management of publication steering committees, if applicable
- Prepare budgets and forecasts in collaboration with finance and other relevant functions and effectively manage agencies for project delivery within budget
- Ensure USMA activities comply with Ipsen business guidance, policies, SOPs, OIG, FDA, & PhRMA Guidelines
- Advanced degree in Health Sciences or related fields required (MD, PhD, PharmD, DPT, MS).
- 5+ years of industry experience in Medical Communications or Publications in pharmaceutical/biotech companies or 8+ years of experience in scientific publication/medical communication agencies
- Vendor management experience required
- Clinical or scientific neuroscience experience required
- CMPP certification a plus
Core Competencies (Specific knowledge, skills and abilities that enable an individual to effectively perform the job)
- Strong leadership skills with experience influencing without authority
- Ability to foster culture of innovation, team spirit, and accountability in alignment with Ipsen’s Values through leading by example
- Ability to work across multiple functions and cultures and embrace team diversity
- Strong teaching skills; established track record of effective oral presentations
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Strategic mindset with ability to identify and create solutions to various scenarios
- Excellent interpersonal skills and problem-solving capabilities
- Experience with organizational skills and business planning
- Proven project management and matrix team leadership, including tracking and reporting of outcomes
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize competing priorities
- Ability to travel (up to 25%) and has a valid driver’s license (overnights and weekends may be required)
- Proven ability to work in and embrace a fast-paced and dynamic work environment with a high degree of autonomy
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principles functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance workload.
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, marital status, military or veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. conducts background screening, reference checks, and drug testing as part of its pre-employment screening process. This description is not intended to be constructed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time. The employee may be requested to perform different or additional duties as assigned.
All Employees are expected to adhere to all company policies and act as a role model for company values.
IPSEN is an equal opportunity employer that strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.