The Division Counsel, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation will report to the Section Head, Corporate Legal and Governance and support the AbbVie Total Rewards programs in partnership with colleagues from several functional areas to ensure compliance with IRS, DOL, SEC and other applicable laws and regulations, as well as provide strategic advice to help position AbbVie as an employer of choice. Target candidates for this position will have experience with qualified retirement plans, health and welfare benefits, and executive compensation arrangements.
There is a strong preference for this role to be based in a hybrid capacity from our Lake County, IL headquarters, but we will consider remote talent that meets or exceeds minimum qualification requirements.
Key Responsibilities Includes:
- Interpret laws and plan documents governing the Total Rewards programs and provide strategic advice to Total Rewards colleagues on plan design and operational matters
- Draft, review, and revise plan documents and amendments, trust agreements, summary plan descriptions, and employee communications and disclosures
- Support benefit plan governance and fiduciary matters, such as advising on benefit claims and appeals, assisting with committee operations and monitoring legal developments involving plan investments and other topics
- Support potential M&A transactions on employee benefit and executive compensation matters, including supporting due diligence and subsequent integration activities
- Proactive identification of key benefits and compensation trends and changing regulations and strategic application of these trends and changes to AbbVie
- Assist with setting strategic priorities for and drafting public disclosures, including the proxy statement
- Juris Doctorate degree
- 10 or more years of employee benefits and executive compensation legal experience
- Strong knowledge of qualified and non-qualified defined contribution plans and health and welfare benefit plans
- Sophisticated understanding of ERISA and Internal Revenue Code requirements applicable to employee benefit plans
- Experience advising and representing plan sponsors and fiduciaries in employee benefit matters
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex topics in a digestible manner
- If pursuing this opportunity as a remote worker, must be willing to travel in for at least one week per month
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.