Sr. Research Associate II - Biologics Analytical Operations (Extended Characterization)
United States - California - Oceanside
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
Job DescriptionSr. Research Associate II - Biologics Analytical Operations (Extended Characterization)
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, CaliforniaRole Summary:
The successful candidate will possess a detailed understanding of proteins and/or glycosylation. The candidate must be highly motivated to contribute to the research and development of biologics targeting unmet medical need through biochemical characterization and novel method development supporting clinical and commercial programs. Role and Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Works as a team member to characterize molecules, degradation pathways, and define critical quality attributes.
- Contributes to analytical method development and implementation for protein characterization activities with focus on protein structural determination and forced degradation using IEC, CE-SDS, cIEF, intact LC-MS, SEC-UV-MALS, DSC/DSF, CD, and FTIR.
- Supports multiple projects and ensures analytical deliverables are met within timelines.
- Participates in comparability studies.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrates technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and independent thought in experimental design and strategy.
- Coordinates analysis of in-process samples and product related impurities as needed.
- Works in a matrixed environment and effectively communicate of ideas, results, and problems.
- Identifies areas for improvement and efficiency gains.
- Maintains familiarity with scientific literature and applies appropriately to projects.
- Represents the company at national/international conferences.
- Works in collaboration with more senior scientists to advance state-of-the-art techniques.
- Works on moderately complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables, requiring regular use of intelligence, logic, ingenuity, and creativity.
- Initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation, considering economic, regulatory and safety factors.
- Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions within the context of the work.
- Experience in several of the following fields is strongly desired: analytical chemistry, biophysics, biological mass spectrometry, high performance or ultra-performance liquid chromatography, separation sciences, chemical and biophysical structural elucidation.
- Teamwork, critical thinking, and the ability to convey complex and nuanced concepts to interdisciplinary teams are required.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and technical) and interpersonal skills are required.
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Demonstrates ability to recognize anomalous and inconsistent results and interpret outcomes.
- Strong knowledge in assay development and troubleshooting.
- Experience performing a variety of experiments that support protein analysis in various disciplines. Includes operating equipment, selecting appropriate methods and techniques, analyzing data and preparing related reports/presentations.
- BS in chemistry, biochemistry or similar and 4+ years of relevant experience
- MS with 2+ years of relevant experience
The salary range for this position is: $94,690.00 - $122,540.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.