NPI Surface Scientist
Level:Senior Engineer or Staff Engineer
Pacific Biosciences is seeking a talented, driven, and experienced individual with a passion for Pacific Biosciences technology and mission to join the NPI group working on SMRT Cell devices. We are seeking an experienced surface scientist to improve the manufacturability and reliability of surface chemistry components of our single molecule DNA sequencing platform. This individual will have a broad surface science background and be able to apply these skills in diverse areas such as assay development for surface characterization, process metrology, data analysis, etc.
The ideal candidate is a very independent thinker and self-starter who works great in a team setting as well as on individual projects. Their central focus will be to participate in the process development, integration, metrology, and performance verification of novel surface chemistry processes for current and next generation consumables. This individual will be expected to lead investigations towards understanding the fundamental sources of variability in PacBio SMRT Cell consumable product lines. The candidate will be required to technically lead and participate in complex surface chemistry process projects ranging from development studies, yield improvement to a full product release.
The candidate must have an appetite for solving complex problems requiring holistic evaluation of process/product factors and actively seek opportunities for process improvement based on statistically meaningful, data-driven conclusions. Software and database experience and advanced data analysis skills are also highly desirable.
Project responsibilities include:
- Develop methods to characterize and measure effectiveness of surface chemistry processes for the purpose of process control and functional performance.
- Interface with R&D surface science and semiconductor development teams to transfer new surface chemistry components and analytical techniques through to manufacturing.
- Work effectively with both in house engineers, production technicians and outsourced equipment/chemical suppliers to identify shortcomings, propose and evaluate modifications to mitigate issues.
- Collaborate with various R&D teams to define appropriate process development, integration, and verification tasks for different process candidates; to improve design, yield, manufacturability, and COGS.
- Determine root cause of failed device component causing system performance issues using a combination of inspection and utilizing failure analysis techniques like SEM, TEM, XPS, EELS, SIMS, AFM, IR, TOF-SIMS etc.
- Select and develop material and equipment for process to meet quality, reliability, cost, yield, productivity, and manufacturability requirements.
- Develop unit processes like spin coating, wet bench treatments, ALD, PVD, etch, cleans etc., used in CMOS/LCD/MEMS wafer fabrication.
- Identify critical variables in manufacturing and identify/implement/qualify continuing improvement projects.
- Ph.D preferred in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Analytical Chemistry, Surface Science, Polymer Chemistry or related scientific and engineering disciplines and minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Prior experience working in a cross-functional, multi-disciplinary environment supporting a commercial product line with a critical surface chemistry component is essential. 7+ years of industry experience preferably dealing with complex product integration and release in low and high-volume production environments.
- In-depth experience developing surface chemistry in one of the following areas, Self-Assembled Monolayers (SAMs), MEMS products, Bio-Medical Devices, or Microfluidic systems.A basic knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry is desirable.
- Experience with analytical chemistry instruments such as HPLC, GPC, and GC-MS etc. and its data analysis.
- Familiarity with strategies and methods for device/process qualification, functional testing, and failure analysis in low and high-volume environments for consumer and medical applications.
- Working knowledge of surface characterization techniques such as ellipsometry, XPS, AFM, TOF-SIMS, fluorescence microscopy, etc. is strongly preferred.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills with Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and statistical analysis (multivariate and DOE preferred) experience.
- Proficiency with JMP, MS Office Suite of programs, and data mining ability.Knowledge of scripting and programming languages a plus.
- Strong communication and documentation skills including: qualification plans/reports, specifications, procedures, work instructions, and technician training.
- Excellent inter-personal skills, positive attitude, and willingness to help where needed; ability to work against tight deadlines with a strong sense of ownership and drive for success.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 & ISO 13485 QMS.
- Ability to travel up 10% of the time.
$110,500.00 - $149,500.00
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview experience.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at PacBio. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. PacBio does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PacBio employees or any other company location. PacBio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at 650-521-8000, or http://email@example.com for assistance.
Visit our following pages for more information on: