Sr Director, Media Relations
United States - California - Foster CityUnited States - New Jersey - Morris Plains
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California. Senior Director, Media Relations
Gilead Sciences seeks an exceptional and experienced media relations professional. This individual will be responsible for leading and managing media strategy and engagement for key therapeutic areas, working in close partnership with colleagues across Public Affairs. The role requires a strategic thinker and bold storyteller who can collaborate with colleagues across the organization to identify and build media opportunities.
The role will report to the Executive Director, Media Relations.Essential Duties and Job Functions:
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Drive media strategy around key initiatives.
- Build and execute corporate media program, partnering closely with Public Affairs colleagues to tell a coordinated and compelling story, identifying appropriate opportunities and assuring alignment of messaging and timing.
- Maintain and enhance relationships with top-tier media and key trade outlets to help improve our ability to share messages proactively and respond effectively to reporters.
- Work with individuals across Public Affairs who have responsibility for specific products and programs to recommend the right external opportunities, including media interviews, speaking engagements at industry conferences, and thought leadership.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Investor Relations, Government Affairs & Policy, Legal and other parts of the organization to evaluate and respond to incoming media inquiries, often on tight timelines to ensure that reporters meet their deadlines.
- Support crisis communications, including proactively planning for and managing issues affecting the company and industry.
- Prepare company spokespeople for media interviews and other engagements in partnership with Public Affairs colleagues. This includes media training spokespeople, as needed, and ensuring that company's most frequent spokespeople are prepared to address key issues as they emerge.
- Research and track media stories and trends of importance to Gilead/the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Bachelor's degree plus minimum of 12 years of communications and public affairs experience and strong business acumen or master's degree with 10 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated track record in media relations including relationships with top-tier healthcare and industry media, as well as demonstration of how media stories have been influenced as a result of your work.
- Ability to support and effectively interact with senior leaders. Executive communications experience a plus.
- Excellent storyteller with strong verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Strong ability to engage and manage multiple stakeholders (internal and external) to achieve objectives.
- Ability to flawlessly create, plan and execute on high-stakes programs under tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple, high-urgency projects simultaneously; flexibility is essential.
- Ability to lead, attract, develop and retain diverse talent to maintain high performance and engagement and to proactively develop organizational capabilities needed in the future.
- Comprehensive understanding of the biopharmaceutical industry, R&D and product commercialization, including the regulatory framework. Experience in oncology and HIV a plus.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
The salary range for this position is: $230,860.00 - $298,760.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.