Senior Research Associate I, Protein Therapeutics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
The Protein Therapeutics department has an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated scientist to join our Automation team in the Protein Science group. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with senior staff to develop and execute the high throughput antibody production workflow to support ongoing and novel target discovery in our biologics pipeline. A strong foundation in protein expression, purification, and basic QC is required.Job Responsibilities:
- Support antibody discovery and lead identification efforts by conducting high throughput mammalian expression
- Perform high throughput protein purification, QC, and LIMS data upload
- Independently design, analyze, and interpret experiments for the optimization of existing protocols
- Develop and optimize the use of linear expression cassettes for high throughput antibody production to support antibody discovery
- Interact and collaborate with Protein Therapeutics colleagues to identify and implement new automation solutions
- Present scientific results in multiple settings and attend project meetings
- Maintain familiarity with the relevant scientific literature
- Write and update automation SOPs and cross train Protein Therapeutics colleagues in operation of liquid handling instruments
B.S. in Biology, Chemistry, or related discipline with 2+ years industry experience or M.S. in related discipline. Job title will be commensurate with experience. An ideal candidate will possess most of the following qualifications.
- In-depth knowledge of mammalian protein expression and hands-on experience in setting up transient transfection of various modalities
- Knowledge and experience in various protein purification techniques
- Experience in operating a liquid handling system (Hamilton, Biomek, etc.). Familiarity in writing automated liquid handler methods is a plus.
- Experience with various molecular biology techniques (RT-PCR, cDNA synthesis, OE-PCR, etc.)
- Experience with high throughput workflows is a plus
- Experience with various protein QC techniques such as SDS-PAGE, CE-SDS, UHPLC, etc. is a plus
- Familiarity with scripting (R, Python, C, etc.) is a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with an ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative, and evolving environment
- Ability to multi-task and work independently
The salary range for this position is: $96,985.00 - $125,510.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.