Eikon Therapeutics is a new biopharmaceutical company employing revolutionary technology at the intersection of chemistry, engineering, computation, and biology to discover novel treatments for life-threatening diseases. Eikon’s discovery platform is built on groundbreaking innovations from its founders (Nobel Prize, 2014), culminating in the creation of microscopes which enable real time, molecular-resolution measurements of protein movement in living cells, thereby unlocking otherwise intractable classes of proteins as drug targets.
Eikon is seeking an experienced Director of IP to join our Legal Department to support and create game-changing IP strategies that will enable Eikon to transform drug discovery and beyond. As a key partner and business strategist, this individual is versatile and passionate in crafting IP protection for groundbreaking innovations. You will be working with scientists and engineers across a dynamic and diverse organization pushing the boundaries of what is possible in a highly competitive industry. This position will report to the Vice President of Intellectual Property, Associate General Counsel and is based in our Hayward, CA location.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated patent attorney who will work closely with the VP of IP to build and defend all aspects of Eikon’s intellectual property. The ideal candidate is a hands-on, resourceful professional who thrives in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced and diverse organization and ready to make significant impact by facilitating and protecting our inventions, and ultimately helping patients suffering from unmet medical needs.
What You’ll Do
- Develop & implement patent strategies to protect and maximize IP value including participating in invention capture, patent drafting and prosecution, and patent portfolio development as well as post-grant proceedings (e.g., reexamination, reissue, post-grant review), including foreign oppositions and appeals, as they may arise
- Conduct freedom-to-operate and patentability analyses, competitive landscape analyses, and due diligence to support R&D and business development objectives
- Establish strong, collaborative relationships with stakeholders across the company, to provide advice regarding opportunities and risks related to IP rights
- Negotiate and provide strategic guidance on nondisclosure, research, license, and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of IP
- Review proposed publications and presentations for potential impact on IP strategy
- Supervise outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications
- Educate and advise on IP processes and issues to the company
- Assist in the identification, configuration, implementation of Eikon’s IP tracking system
- Juris Doctor (JD) law degree from an accredited law school
- Active bar membership in good standing
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- At least 7 years of experience in small and/or large molecule (biopharmaceutical) IP portfolio creation, strategy, and counseling
- Preferably includes 3+ years of experience working at a biopharmaceutical or biotechnology company
- Advanced degree in biological and/or chemical sciences such as molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, chemical engineering or other related discipline; a Ph.D. degree is highly desirable
- Strong technical background in the biotechnology/biopharmaceutical field, with a deep understanding of global intellectual property laws and practices
- Proven track record of developing and implementing successful patent strategies and managing large patent portfolios
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
At Eikon, employee compensation also includes bonus and equity compensation, in addition to several generous benefit programs, including:
- 401k plan with company matching
- Medical (premiums covered by Eikon at 95%), dental and vision insurance (premiums covered by Eikon at 100%)
- Mental health and wellness benefits
- Weeklong summer and winter holiday shutdowns
- Generous paid time off and holiday policies
- Life/AD&D Insurance (premiums covered by Eikon at 100%) and optional supplemental employee-paid life/AD&D policies
- Enhanced parental leave benefit
- Daily subsidized lunch program when on-site
The expected salary range for this role is $205,000 to $260,000 depending on skills, competency, and the market demand for your expertise.