Vice President, Clinical Research Oncology
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. As part of our rapidly growing science-driven organization, colleagues at Gilead are revolutionizing healthcare by bringing urgently needed medicines to patients in the areas of HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, inflammation and respiratory diseases and cardiovascular conditions. We are proud to have some of the most talented colleagues from across the research, healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotechnology & business sectors, working together and supporting each other to help make a real difference to the lives of patients.Vice President, Clinical Research OncologyLeadership Responsibilities:
- Strategic Thinking: Understands the competitive landscape within Oncology, including having a perspective on how clinical practice and patient needs are evolving as well as therapeutic area trends and their relevance to the Gilead portfolio; As needed, provides assessment of both internal and external opportunities to advance Gilead's portfolio and actively seeks opportunities to form external partnerships to strengthen Gilead's Oncology portfolio and probability of success
- Influence and Partnership: As assigned, establishes and maintains strong, collaborative relationships with Research, Development, Business Development, and Commercial stakeholders; Establishes and maintains an external network including relationships with the innovation community, medical and scientific organizations, governmental bodies and patient organizations within Oncology; Leverages to identify opportunities and sources of innovation; Sets the expectation for and models a collaborative and enterprise mindset
- Delivery Excellence: As assigned, will be responsible for ensuring that their area of responsibility is aligned with Oncology disease area strategies and appropriate activities are prioritized; where needed, facilitates efforts across Development and is accountable for the technical execution of programs within the Oncology portfolio.
- Primary point-of-contact between Oncology Corporate Development and late-stage oncology Franchise Heads driving and evaluating late-stage clinical business development opportunities based on franchise disease area strategies.
- Serve as the Head of the International Development Team for Oncology, overseeing ex-US regional clinical development teams, responsible for the successful partnering with Franchise Heads and Global Development Team Leaders/Study Management Teams in the execution of global oncology clinical trials, and ensuring regional/local input is provided into global study designs and objectives.
- Serve on the Oncology Development Leadership Team working with other Franchise Heads to help develop and drive the overall Oncology Therapeutic Area strategy.
- Along with other Oncology Development Leadership Team members, serve as a main clinical external liaison with global/regional oncology organizations, key clinical collaborations, patient advocacy groups, and global/regional key oncology leaders, to help drive the clinical execution.
- Innovation: Thinks creatively and brings innovative solutions to the TA; Identifies and leverages advances in clinical development, where appropriate, such as real-world data, analytics, and innovative trial designs
- People Development: As assigned develops others by identifying and mentoring high performers and building a culture of inclusion and collaboration throughout the organization; Delegates responsibility and empowers others; model and mentor to other Clinical Research oncology employees
- Decision-making: Maintains a culture of rigorous data-driven decision making that rewards truth-seeking behavior; Encourages employees to exercise good judgement and embrace decision making; Empowers capable individuals to be accountable decision-makers
- Communication: Advocates on behalf of Gilead and effectively communicates complex medical/clinical concepts in both written and oral communication to both internal and external stakeholders
Capabilities and Requirements:
- MD or MD/PhD degrees with board certification/eligibility in oncology or related field is preferred
- 10+ years of biopharmaceutical industry drug development experience, early through late stage development, including the design and conduct of clinical studies, and filing experience in oncology
Gilead Core Values
- Prior experience leading an R&D therapeutic area and have broad R&D functional experience and understanding from a global perspective
- Credibility and reputation to attract and retain top talent with a history of creating teams that can thrive in a fast-paced, matrixed environment
- Track record of successfully developing therapies
- Ability to create and fulfill a vision in a matrix environment and work collaboratively with internal stakeholders across different functions
- Practical experience in identifying, vetting, and managing external partnerships including vendors, academic and industry collaborators
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to translate between business leaders, scientists, and medical professionals
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.