PacBio’s single molecule, real-time DNA sequencing platforms are transforming the future of medicine, basic science, and agriculture. Our mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes, and interprets data from living systems through innovative tools for biological research. To extend our team, we are looking for a bioinformatics field application scientist with a strong customer focus to enable and support data analysis for our customers and collaborators. In this role, she/he will be responsible to train customers for HiFi Sequencing data analysis, support customers pre- and post-sales for technical inquiries, and function as a link between customers and PacBio. The candidate will combine bioinformatics, molecular biology, and software expertise. The ability to communicate with customers and internal teams are important aspects of this role. Our ideal candidate is a well-rounded top performer who can be a key contributor in a fast-pacing commercial environment, interacting with customers, scientists and engineers from a wide variety of backgrounds. The candidate is a partner to the customer in the understanding and analysis of data derived through the use of HiFi sequencing, often bridging wet lab and data analysis. The position will be field based.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Assist and enable customers and collaborators to ensure successful use of PacBio data analysis software
- Train customers on HiFi sequencing data characteristics and analysis tools, including SMRT Link software
- Be the primary contact for customers to understand their HiFi sequencing data
- Ensure timely bioinformatics and software assistance in response to customer inquiries
- Support sales in conducting scientific presentations, technical discussions and customer meetings
- Work closely with application specialists, sales, service engineers, and technical support
- Provide customer feedback to product marketing and software development
- Support roll-out of new software and assist with software installations
- Work with customers and internal teams (service engineers, tech support) to prepare new instruments installations
- All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities
- Excellent command in spoken and written English
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- The role is field based, and up to 30% travel for onsite support and training is expected
- Proven ability and motivation to work independently, i.e. in a home office-based position
- Strong time management, organizational and planning skills are essential
- Ability to work in a strong team-driven and highly performing organization
- Great team player who can effectively integrate internal and field-based activities to support customer needs
- Experience with working cross-functionally
- The candidate is a customer-minded individual with the empathy to understand different levels of customer concerns and how to address them appropriately
- Good networking and customer relationship building skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced and growing commercial environment.
- Highly self-organized and responsive
- The candidate must have a valid driver’s license and live near an international airport
- MSc/PhD in life sciences (molecular biology, biochemistry), bioinformatics, or related field
- A minimum of 0-2 years’ experience in bioinformatics, data management or tech support, ideally in life sciences industry
- Well-experienced with next generation DNA sequencing data analyses and pipelines. Experience with PacBio data and tools is a plus
- Experience in field applications role and pre-/post-sales customer support, and in implementation, training, and application of DNA sequencing instruments
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art sequence analysis tools and workflows, such as sequence alignment, variant calling, de novo assembly, genome visualization, transcript mapping
- Excellent troubleshooting capabilities, and experience with good practice in customer support
- Understanding of Unix systems administration, networking, and large-scale compute hardware
- Experience with bash scripting, Python, R
- Previous work with CRM platforms is a plus, in particular Salesforce ticketing system
- Track record of conducting scientific presentations to internal and external audiences
- Wet lab experience and basic knowledge in operation of DNA sequencing instruments and library preparation protocols is a plus
- Experience with conducting webinars is a plus
$95,200.00 - $128,800.00
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview experience.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at PacBio. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. PacBio does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PacBio employees or any other company location. PacBio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at 650-521-8000, or http://firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Visit our following pages for more information on: