Drug Discovery addresses key unmet medical needs through the identification and validation of therapeutic targets, generation of leads, and optimization of those leads into drug candidates for clinical evaluation. As a member of the Target Enabling Technologies group in the Small Molecule Therapeutics and Platform Technologies department, the Scientist II/Senior Scientist I will be responsible for conceiving and/or executing research that achieves project and area goals. The individual will have demonstrated expertise in mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography, and/or protein biochemistry and will work with the protein biochemistry and small molecule screening groups to support project related goals and deadlines and develop novel technology platforms for improved efficiency and productivity within AbbVie Discovery.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Support mass spectrometry-based assay development for applications within the protein biochemistry, screening and biophysics group.
- Contribute to the long-term vision that supports incorporation of MS technology and new processes that provide for future efficiency and novel target enablement needs.
- He/she should be capable of engaging and collaborating with multiple disease area and functional teams and make substantial contributions to the conception and execution of experiments and data generation within strict time and quality tolerances. Understanding of relevant scientific literature and apply theoretical framework to solving problems in a timely manner is necessary.
- Collaborate and mentor with team members to conduct experiments, analyze and interpret datasets. Present results relevant to target enablement/validation, validation, mechanistic studies, structure-activity relationship analysis etc. in relevant settings.
- Must independently schedule and prioritize workload to manage several tasks simultaneously. Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement. The ability to work in a team environment is a priority.
- Keep accurate and current records of research and/or project related activities according to AbbVie policies.
Job level will be commensurate with experience.
- MS or PhD in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, or related field is required.
- 5+ years industry or core facility experience in protein mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography (HPLC), and/or protein biochemistry required with MS degree.
- Familiarity with mass spectrometry instrumentation, HPLC method development, protein digestion and peptide mapping, limited proteolysis, and PTM mapping.
- Effective written/oral communication skills and a proven track record of problem-solving and publication.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.