Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a TVI Partner in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission
The TVI Partner contributes significantly to the growth and success of Takeda external R&D initiatives by identifying and nurturing high quality strategic investment opportunities. In this role, he/she works autonomously to evaluate, diligence and propose investment opportunities to key governance bodies (TVI, Investment Committee, BRC). Post-investment participation as a Board member or observer will contribute to advancement of the company on behalf of shareholders, including facilitating interactions with Takeda that result in win:win strategic transactions.
Self-confidence, independence and out of the box thinking must combine with a strong team ethic, discipline with respect to venture priorities and open, collaborative communication internally as well as externally.
The TVI Partner is a key ambassador for Takeda venture philosophy and best practice internally and externally. As a result of these endeavors, TVI will develop the brand of a strategic investment partner of choice.
- Cultivates and establishes a comprehensive, deep network of external relations providing first-mover access to therapeutic innovation within the broader venture community (academia, entrepreneurs, biotech clusters, government and private life science initiatives)
- Develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders of external innovation within Takeda R&D, serving as the primary Takeda venture point of contact for strategic investment into one or more therapeutic areas
- Recognizes and contextualizes potentially first-in-class science/technology requiring extensive external consultation with experts in the field, coupled with translation of the opportunity to internal stakeholders in terms of current Therapeutic Area strategic imperatives
- Leads complex, potentially multi-party negotiations requiring a comprehensive understanding of venture investment best practices in North America and Europe, the fundamentals of corporate finance, and any territory-specific corporate legal implications of the investment
- Serves as a Board Member (non-executive director) or Board Observer on TVI portfolio companies, honoring fiduciary obligations to all shareholders while, in parallel, seeking opportunities for one or more win:win strategic transactions between the portfolio company and Takeda
- Vocal senior advocate for the continuous improvement of Takeda External Innovation processes and evolution of creative deal structures; works proactively with CEI, GBD and TAUs / DDUs to enhance strategic competitiveness, and inform forward R&D strategy via the TVI external lens
- Manages business relationships and counsels business partners, internally and externally, on transaction and strategic issues pertaining to external venture opportunities
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- MD or PhD in a related field (biochemistry, pharmacology, molecular biology, etc.).
- Minimum of 15 years experience in the Venture Capital or Biopharmaceutical industry, with a proven track record in Research, Business Development or venture investing.
- A highly professional individual with ambition and an entrepreneurial mind
- A strong team player, with a clear awareness of knowing when to lead and when to simply participate as a key team member
- Some combination of acknowledged relationships with venture investment institutions, biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies and high caliber academic institutions.
- Extensive exposure to research at the University level with a broad level of exposure to multiple disciplines.
- Understands the competitive landscape in private and public sector lifesciences industries, and is knowledgeable enough to anticipate new trends and developments in healthcare generally, pharmaceutical R&D specifically
- Experience in negotiating and managing third party collaboration, licensing and development contracts. Has a good understanding of the laws and regulations affecting venture investments at the state, federal and international level.
- Business acumen- has a thorough understanding of, and can champion, the highest standards of good business practice.
- Problem solving and decision-making – demonstrates sound judgment and creativity to deal with complex issues and decisions. Ability to explore positions and alternatives to reach beneficial outcomes for all parties involved
- Analytical skills – ability to analyze a wide variety of data including research methodology, outcomes studies, business plans, research data, financial figures and market data to make sound business decisions and recommendations
- Communication – ability to communicate ideas and data both verbally and in writing in a persuasive and appropriate manner, with deference to cross-cultural communications.
- Management – ability to establish priorities and monitor research progress of the investment companies. Leads others to work together. Rewards and recognizes desired performance. Provides leadership, coaching, representation and support.
- Interpersonal – ability to work effectively and get along with others with diverse backgrounds.
- Team building- ability to work collaboratively in a team and encourage teamwork.
- Relationship Building Skills – ability to develop and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders and build trust with others to increase Takeda’s competitive advantage.
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e., computers, phones, etc.).
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Carrying, handling and reaching for object
- Willingness to drive to or fly to clients meetings, sometimes involving trips lasting several days. Significant international travel will be required possibly amounting to more than 25% of total time
- Budget Accountability: travel and related business expenses
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
• 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
• Tuition reimbursement Company match of charitable contributions
• Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
• Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
• Community Outreach Programs
Base Salary Range: $160,000 to $229,000.00, based on candidate professional experience level. Employees may also be eligible for Short Term and Long-Term Incentive benefits as well. Employees are eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days & Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program and Paid Volunteer Time Off.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.
Empowering Our People to Shine
Discover more at takedajobs.com
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.Locations
Boston, MAWorker Type