About Mission Bio
Mission Bio is a high-growth, well-funded Series C company based in South San Francisco, California. Our mission is to enable our customers to eradicate cancer. We do so with our innovative microfluidic system that is the leader in the high throughput single cell, multi-omics space that is used by major cancer centers and pharma / biopharma companies globally to better characterize cancer as well as providing solutions to accelerate therapeutic development, such as the future standard of care in cell and gene therapy.
We are a dynamic and diverse team. We live by the culture of “One Cell One Team One Vision”. We are collaborative, we are driven, and we are curious.
SENIOR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY COUNSEL
We are seeking a Senior Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel to manage the in-house IP function in our fast growing commercial stage company. The primary focus of this role will be leading the intellectual property patent portfolio strategy for our unique microfluidic based DNA and multi-omics platform for oncology and Cell and Gene Therapy applications. This individual will be responsible for carrying out freedom to operate analysis, supporting business development due diligence efforts, and drafting and prosecuting patent applications. The IP Counsel will work closely with scientists, and business colleagues, supported by external counsels to execute our commercial strategy. This is a senior role that will be part of the executive team and report directly to our CEO. We prefer to have a local candidate based out of South San Francisco, CA headquarters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take the leading role in the ongoing design of Mission Bio’s intellectual property portfolio development strategy including sample preparation, reagents, instrument and software as well as applications.
- Manage, protect and develop the Company’s patent portfolio, including working closely with research & development and outside counsel(s) to proactively identify and develop patentable intellectual property and to prepare, file and prosecute related patent applications.
- Approach IP with a strategic mindset by anticipating future business, competitive and legal risks, and identify creative solutions and opportunities.
- Develop a deep knowledge of the Company’s existing and forward reaching research and development programs, business activities, and product candidates in the context of competitor landscape, industry trends, laws and regulations affecting IP.
- Negotiate, draft and review agreements such as licenses, research agreements, clinical trial agreements, collaboration agreements, confidentiality agreements, supplier agreements, consulting agreements and material transfer agreements. Manage outside counsel and in-house transactions counsel in such matters.
- Counsel internal clients, including senior management and members of research & development and business development teams, on IP risks and opportunities.
- Conduct IP due diligence for business development activities and manage patentability, freedom-to-operate, infringement, validity and regulatory exclusivity analyses.
- Train internal client groups to promote awareness of IP and its implications on various functions within the organization.
- Develop a solid understanding of Mission Bio’s technologies and business with the ability to evaluate and balance both legal and business factors when providing advice.
- And other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A minimum of 10 years relevant professional experience as in-house counsel, with experience in the NGS, microfluidics, genomics and proteomics, life science and/or biotechnology industry required.
- JD degree required. An advanced degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in the biological sciences (molecular biology or biochemistry) is preferred.
- State bar and USPTO registration is required.
- Transactional or licensing experience (negotiating and/or drafting IP licenses) is an advantage.
- Successful candidates should have demonstrable skills in evaluating new technologies and seeing such technologies through the patenting process from invention disclosure to patent issuance.
- Experience with U.S. and foreign patent systems, including the patent development, filing and prosecution processes, invention review, patent searching, and freedom-to-operate analyses.
- Experience managing outside counsel.
- Ability to facilitate and contribute to collaborative decision-making processes and work effectively on cross-functional teams.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, negotiation and presentation/public speaking skills.
- The ability to operate with candid transparency, professionalism, strong emotional intelligence, and the highest degree of integrity.
- Comprehensive Benefits: We offer medical, dental and vision insurance, pre-tax commuter options and a 401(k) plan for all US employees.
- Flexible working hours: We offer unlimited vacation for you to take the time you need to recharge and be your most productive self at work.
- Training and professional development: Your manager will work with you to define objectives for your professional development and help you progress in your field.
Mission Bio is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.