Schrödinger seeks an experienced business development scientist to join our team. The Business Development Strategy and Assessment Lead will play a key role in establishing and maintaining cross-therapeutic area interactions with biopharmaceutical companies and managing the technical diligence of business development projects. This role will work closely with the Schrödinger Therapeutics Group leadership and discovery and development teams contributing to landscape analysis and partnering strategy.
Please note this role requires presence in our New York office at least 2-3 consecutive days per month.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive and project manage the identification and evaluation of out-licensing and partnering opportunities for cross-therapeutic area pre-clinical and clinical stage assets.
- Establish and lead the due diligence process to drive technical and scientific alignment with biopharmaceutical companies to support Schrödinger asset licensing, acquisitions, and collaboration transactions.
- Ensure effective communication during the BD process with cross-functional science teams and internal stakeholders in finance and legal.
- Build and maintain a broad network of internal and external contacts and partners
- Leverage internal competitive intelligence collaboration and third-party tools and analytics tools to curate relevant biopharma technology and disease (target) biology maps and insights in support of partnering opportunity identification, emergence, and prioritization
- Support of due diligence and/or strategic projects, including but not limited to - KOL interactions, medical/scientific congress attendance, review of scientific literature, and analyzing/tracking key competitors
- Assist with academic collaborations and technology partner evaluation.
- Support the preparation of materials for senior management briefings
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. and a minimum of 8 years in the biopharmaceutical industry, including 3 years in a biotechnology company business development team with out-licensing responsibilities
- Track record of successful in-license and out-license deal team participation (deal sheet required).
- Prior roles and expertise in global biopharmaceutical R&D and business development
- Strong network of business development contacts in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Scientific understanding of drug discovery and/or development process
- Hands-on experience with development candidate nomination and target landscape analyses
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with senior executive teams
- Self-starter with the ability to think critically and creatively
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly matrixed work environment
- Comfortable with ambiguity with a track record of proactively solving problems
Leadership and Behaviors
The Business Development Strategy and Assessment Lead will have excellent communication, organizational, and collaboration skills. This role serves as an ambassador to communicate Schrödinger’s BD strategy, asset science, and evaluation process to external stakeholders and summarize progress to internal governance. This person helps to identify opportunities consistent with Schrödinger’s business goals, compare/contrast numerous partnering opportunities. Champions and drives prioritized opportunities through execution and alliance management transfer with a strong sense of urgency and focus.
Pay and perks:
Schrödinger understands it’s people that make a company great. Because of this, we’re prepared to offer a competitive salary, stock options, and a wide range of benefits that include healthcare (with dental and vision), a 401k, pre-tax commuter benefits, a flexible work schedule, and a parental leave program. We have catered meals in the office every day, a company culture that is relaxed but engaged, and over a month of paid vacation time. Our Administrative and Human Resources departments also plan a myriad of fun company-wide events. New York is home to our largest office, but we have teams all over the world. Schrödinger is honored to have been selected as one of Crain's New York Best Places to Work for the past three years running.
Estimated base salary range (NYC only): $210,000 - $245,000. Actual compensation package is dependent on a number of factors, including, for example, experience, education, degrees held, market data, and business needs. If you have any questions regarding the compensation for this role, do not hesitate to reach out to a member of our Strategic Growth team.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join us!
As an equal opportunity employer, Schrödinger hires outstanding individuals into every position in the company. People who work with us have a high degree of engagement, a commitment to working effectively in teams, and a passion for the company's mission. We place the highest value on creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and contribute, and refuse to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, age, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. To us, "diversity" isn't just a buzzword, but an important element of our core principles and key business practices. We believe that diverse companies innovate better and think more creatively than homogenous ones because they take into account a wide range of viewpoints. For us, greater diversity doesn't mean better headlines or public images - it means increased adaptability and profitability.