NextCure is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company located in Beltsville, MD, and focuses on the discovery and development of first-in-class biologic therapeutics for the treatment of cancer and other immune-related diseases. The company has tremendous product capabilities, filing three INDs in six years since its inception.
NextCure‘s pipeline is constantly growing through our desire for knowledge, which is driven by cutting-edge science. The company’s FIND-IO™ technology provides a broad range of function-based screens and imparts a unique understanding of cell surface molecular interactions between immune and diseased cells to design first-in-class therapeutics. Our innovative culture is the commitment to build a sustainable organization focusing on value creation by providing meaningful benefits to patients in need.
We are excited about the ongoing work at NextCure and invite you to join our culture and build your career in an environment that nurtures professional growth and development.
We are seeking a highly motivated and dedicated Director, Business Development and M&A to bring leadership, vision, and initiative towards building strategies to execute transformative transactions in support of expansion and growth. The Director, Business Development and M&A will identify and analyze partnering and M&A opportunities from a clinical, commercial, operational, financial, and strategic fit to drive value creating transactions. Reporting into the Vice President of Business Development and working in close coordination with the executive team, this newly created role will develop business cases to define value added synergies. The role will generate creative deal structure focusing on prospective collaboration, advancing first-in-class products to disrupt the field. This is a great opportunity for a candidate with extensive transaction experience interested in exploring end to end aspects of business development and operational collaboration management in the biotechnology and healthcare industry.
- Develop financial models and analyses to establish strategic fit for potential partners to propose creative deal structures for advancing innovative therapeutics
- Build presentations focusing on strategic opportunities to articulate the business case and the proposed problem-solution toward collaboration deliverables
- Scout for companies and formulate recommendations to support outreach to targets based on forward thinking and strategic fit
- Define criteria and generate scorecards to evaluate opportunities by summarizing large amounts of clinical, operational, and financial information
- Negotiate and draft term sheets and partnering agreements
- Lead and prepare due diligence activities as part of a cross-functional teamsto efficiently execute on partnering opportunities
- Successfully manage post-transaction activities to accelerate product development by focusing on main collaborative objectives
Required Education and Experience
- MBA, PhD in biological sciences or MD with an active role in building and closing business and M&A transactions
- 5 or greater years of experience in finance and/or investment banking
- Experience with the biotechnology and healthcare industry is a plus
- Required as part of the interview process: a comprehensive deal sheet with descriptions of specific roles of the candidate
- A strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts who can create and drive opportunities into actionable and value-added transactions
- Exceptional interpersonal skills as well as proven sales and negotiation expertise with working knowledge of deal structuring
- Visionary and future oriented individual naturally driven by a “what next” mindset
- A mediator of solutions, seeking alignment among key internal and external stakeholders and capable of thinking on their feet
- Seeing the big picture and acting in anticipation of future needs or necessary adjustments for achieving the desired objectives
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills to clearly articulate complex and abstract issues
- Capable of working with independence and proactively advancing projects towards results
- Proven ability to efficiently lead multiple projects in parallel
- Strong understanding of law, accounting, and business
- Commercially astute and a strong desire to achieve goals in a business driven by timelines
NextCure is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package in a scientifically engaged teamwork environment.