Senior Research Scientist I- Discovery Sciences & Technologies
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative Senior Research Scientist to join the Discovery Sciences and Technologies (DST) Department and contribute to our biophysics capabilities to enable the identification and nomination of small molecule and biologics drug candidates across all therapeutic areas at Gilead.
DST Department members are responsible for the design and execution of rigorous, quantitative, in vitro biochemical, biophysical, and functional cellular assays. They collaborate within multi-disciplinary teams to discover and evolve drug candidates from lead identification efforts during project inception to the characterization of the final development candidate.
The successful candidate will be an integral member of the DST research team and work closely with various Research functions such as medicinal chemistry, structural biology, and protein therapeutics to advance transformational therapies into clinical development for patients. Gilead is a highly matrixed organization and the ability to work effectively across diverse functional groups and therapeutic areas is a key attribute for this role.Specific Responsibilities:
- Independently characterize protein ligand, antigen-antibody, and protein-protein interactions to advance programs utilizing a Biacore platform, or other platforms such as Sierra, Gater Bio, ForteBio, and Carterra
- Apply advanced level of understanding and analytical skills to interpret data and draw conclusions within the broader context of project goals, critical and creative thinker
- Able to troubleshoot and optimize assays as needed, identifying, and applying novel techniques or proactively seeking out solutions
- Perform critical experiments to enable hit identification and lead optimization across therapeutic modalities
- Provide scientific insight and in-depth data interpretation to inform decision making at the project team and leadership levels
- Evaluate and implement new technologies to support advancement of internal programs and core group functions
- Mentor associates, providing scientific direction and guidance.
- Contribute to several projects at any given time, work successfully in a cross-functional team environment and communicate clearly both verbally and in writing to a variety of audiences
- Ph.D. with a minimum of 2-5 years of experience, or an M.Sc. with 10 years of experience in biophysics, biochemistry, or a related scientific discipline.
- Experience performing high resolution studies using both Biacore and KinExA platforms to understand the mechanism of action of lead candidate molecules.
- Strong working knowledge of biophysics and biochemistry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to disseminate information to direct colleagues and broad audiences
- Track record of productivity in diverse work environments
- The candidate should be able to think critically and creatively across multiple disciplines and have demonstrated the ability to answer complex scientific questions using a variety of biophysical techniques
- Experience with automation is a definite plus
- Must be detail-orientated and organized
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with enthusiasm for working in an environment characterized by rigorous scientific and innovative thinking
- Excellent written and oral organizational skills
The salary range for this position is: $160,820.00 - $208,120.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.