Convergence is a service organization that creates enterprise data and digital capabilities to help functions in their mission to improve R&D productivity and deliver new cures. The Convergence AI and Data Analytics group at AbbVie seeks a creative and motivated Python developer with expertise in machine learning, including graphical models and network analysis. The candidate will be foundational in developing and implementing the computational tools to help valorize AbbVie’s R&D Convergence Hub (ARCH), which is a knowledge base expertly curated from over 100 data sources. As a Machine Learning Engineer in the Convergence AI and Data Analytics group, you will have unlimited access to diverse scientific expertise and the resources to translate those collaborative efforts into predictive algorithms used at scale. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals driven to solve disparate biomedical problems using data, computation, and machine learning.
The successful candidate will develop the Python software stack for performing statistics and machine-learning experiments from the ARCH data lake. This Python API will integrate the existing Python stats/ML ecosystem (e.g., SciPy, scikit-learn, TensorFlow/Keras) and then be augmented to include custom machine-learning algorithms developed by the candidate. You will develop this software stack in concert with other developers writing similar APIs in other languages, and with data scientists responsible for data management and front-end development (e.g., dashboards). You will work closely with stakeholders (e.g., computational biologists) to prioritize needs, demonstrate the capabilities of your models to solve existing problems, and expedite adoption of your models/methods through stakeholder training and education. In short, you will be at the center of a large, coordinated effort to unleash the potential of the ARCH data lake to 100s of AbbVie scientists.
This position reports to the Director of Convergence AI and Data Analytics and can be onsite, remote, or hybrid. Onsite locations include North Chicago, IL, the San Francisco Bay Area, or Worcester, MA. Level will be determined from candidate qualifications and experience.
- Develop the Python API for interfacing with AbbVie’s data lake of 100+ expertly curated data sources. This API will be a full-stack solution for running statistics and machine-learning experiments for bioinformaticians, biostatisticians, etc.
- Coordinate the development of your Python ML codebase with stakeholders, and with other engineers/scientists in Convergence AI and Data Analytics.
- Present results and prototypes to an audience of diverse scientific background.
- Encourage adoption of your methods/models through stakeholder training and education.
- For Senior Machine Learning Engineer I: bachelor’s degree with 6 years’ experience; Masters’ degree with 5 years’ experience; PhD with 0 years’ experience.
- For Senior Machine Learning Engineer II: bachelor’s degree with 7 years’ experience; Masters’ degree with 6 years’ experience; PhD with 2 years’ experience.
- Expert in Python with demonstrated adherence to software engineering best practices and experience developing software with a team of engineers or data scientists.
- Fluency with the Python data-science stack (NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, sci-kit learn, TensorFlow/Keras, etc.).
- Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own discipline.
- Proven implementation of creative technology solutions that advanced the business.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
- Ability to design and proctor training sessions.
- Experience implementing graph traversal algorithms and extracting network knowledge.
- Experience programming in R and the ability communicate and interpret goals across the development of parallel software stacks in Python and R, which will cater to different stakeholders.
- An active GitHub.
- Desire to teach and disseminate knowledge, as demonstrated by—for example—authoring articles in Medium or Towards Data Science, contributing to data science blogs, or “reputation” on Stack Overflow.
- Background in life sciences or work experience in the pharmaceutical industry (for Senior Machine Learning Engineer II).
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.