Scientist II / Sr. Scientist - Molecular Biology
- Capsida Biotherapeutics
- Thousand Oaks, California
- Start date
- Mar 31, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology
- Required Education
- Masters Degree/MBA
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Beach, Best Places to Work
We are a fully integrated AAV engineering and gene therapy company poised to create the next generation of innovative genetic therapies, with life-changing potential for patients with grievous unmet medical needs.
We leverage our proprietary high-throughput AAV engineering platform to create viral vectors with cell-type and tissue level specificity, overcoming many of the biological limitations of early gene therapy efforts. Combined with our in-house preclinical and manufacturing expertise, we are positioned to create the next generation of AAV-delivered gene therapies, dramatically changing patients' lives.
We are founded on the idea that diverse backgrounds and skill sets combine to create an environment that stimulates innovation and creativity, enabling us to grow into a leader in the AAV gene therapy space. Our leadership team is comprised of the scientific founders that developed the underlying intellectual property, and experienced industry veterans with a track record for bringing transformative drugs to market. Together with our partners, we will combine next generation engineered capsids with cutting edge gene editing and delivery modalities to bring novel medicines to patients that need them. Our research and development labs, offices, and manufacturing space are located in Newbury Park, California.
Scientist II/Senior Scientist – Molecular Biology (Biodistribution Group Lead)
We are looking for an innovative and experienced scientist to join the Technology Team to lead the Biodistribution Group and bring new technologies to Capsida. This group works closely with the AAV Engineering Team, Quantitative Biology and Data Science Team and Preclinical Team to deliver robust and reliable results. These assays will support our programs from our Capsid Engineering team, which utilizes directed evolution and in vivo + in vitro screening to generate novel AAV capsids with desired properties, such as enhanced transduction of the brain and decreased transduction of the liver after IV delivery. The goal of this position is to work with other team members or lead projects to improve assessment metrics and biodistribution qualities for both DNA and RNA of selected novel variants for gene therapies. With direct interaction with senior leadership on the engineering team, you will join a very collaborative small team of scientists aimed at improving and innovating on the current Capsida platform. A successful candidate will have a strong technical background in molecular biology and genetics, hands on experience with AAV and/or protein engineering, and a desire to grow and learn at Capsida. Laboratory activities will constitute approximately 30% of the time.
- Present findings to interdisciplinary scientific teams to seek input on key studies and propose data-driven decisions.
- Collaborate both within the team to achieve annual company goals and cross-functionally with teams and programs at Capsida Biotherapeutics.
- Keep up to date with advances in the gene therapy field and relevant molecular biology assays.
- Develop and coordinate efforts of a medium size scientific team and see to their own scientific and professional improvement along with your own.
- Adhere to thorough documentation of experimental protocols and results.
- A flexible schedule that will be amenable to work on weekends and evenings when needed to achieve business directed goals.
- M.S. + 7 years or PhD + 3 years of Experience
- Strong background in molecular biology, in particular qPCR and ddPCR platforms
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on timelines
- Excellent organizational and collaborative skills, with the ability to design and troubleshoot experiments with minimal supervision or as part of a group. This includes the ability to document and maintain detailed laboratory notes.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, as well as the drive to pursue diverse and ever-changing projects as part of a fast-paced startup team.
- Experience with high-throughput screening
- Demonstrated experience with next generation sequencing and/or RNAseq
- Experience working with an array of different in vitro cell lines
- Background in neuroscience, blood-brain barrier biology, or viral vector gene delivery modalities
- Experience with bioinformatics and data scientist collaborations
Compensation and Benefits:
The well-being of our employees and their families is of the highest importance. As such, we offer a competitive salary and exceptional benefits, including generous stock options, medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and significant PTO.
Scientist II Salary: $108,000 - $148,000 per year
Sr. Scientist Salary: $128,000 - $176,000 per year
Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, stock options, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
Additionally, we offer:
- Relocation compensation
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Social lunches, happy hours, and other events on a regular basis
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local laws
Capsida Biotherapeutics is an industry-leading gene therapy platform company creating a new class of targeted, non-invasive gene therapies for patients with debilitating and life-threatening disorders.
In the past, nearly all gene therapies have been aimed at treating rare disorders in infants – partially because of tremendous unmet need in those patients but mainly because of the limitations of naturally occurring AAV capsids. At Capsida, we’re not limited by the way things have always been done. We’ve developed a high throughput platform to biologically screen and identify proprietary engineered capsids to significantly improve target specificity and penetration in disease tissues and cells, allowing the use of gene therapy in both rare and common diseases across all ages.
Through intravenous (IV) delivery of a single, engineered capsid, Capsida’s technology can target single or multiple organs simultaneously while limiting exposure to non-targeted organs.
We harness the power of our diverse backgrounds and thoughts to deliver on our purpose. We have a sense of collective responsibility and unity. We approach every challenge with energy and excitement. We remain resilient in the face of adversity because we understand innovative science is not easy. We blend innovation with execution in the pursuit to improve patient lives. We’re not limited by the way things have always been done.
Seize the opportunity to be at the forefront of gene therapy. Capsida is a rapidly growing company based in the heart of the Greater Los Angeles biotech hub. We’re looking for passionate, dedicated colleagues to join us.
• Medical, dental, vision, prescription drug coverage
• Multiple plan options including PPO and HMO
• Employee and dependent coverage is 100% company funded (95% company funded for PPO option)
• Medical insurance waiver benefit if you have other coverage
• Competitive base salary
• Bonus program
• Equity participation
• Life and disability Insurance
• 401k plan
• Paid parental leave
• Competitive PTO, paid holidays and a winter shutdown
• Employee Resource Groups
• Employee Assistance Program
• On-site snacks
1300 Rancho Conejo Blvd.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert