Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us
When you join BMS, you are joining a diverse, high-achieving team united by a common mission.
The Discovery Biotherapeutics team at BMS seeks to understand the structure and function of complex molecules such as bispecific antibodies, antibody drug conjugates and endogenous proteins in order to optimize their utility as therapeutic agents. We collaborate with biology and translational scientists imbedded in the Thematic Research Centers in order to prosecute Targets and Biological pathways with disease modifying potential. By using a blend of internal and external technologies and capabilities, we work to discover and deliver first-in-class as well as best-in-class molecules that warrant clinical evaluation for patient benefit.
Here, you’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities that are uncommon in scale and scope. You’ll pursue innovative ideas while advancing professionally alongside some of the brightest minds in biopharma.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, experienced, and creative Senior Principal Research Scientist with expertise in high throughput bioassay development, experimental designs, and data analytics for biotherapeutics drug development to join the Antibody Discovery and Functional Screening team. The candidate is expected to develop and optimize high throughput functional assays to interrogate the desired mode-of-action and perform screening to identify functional lead candidates. Deep understanding in developing robust cell based assays informed by the mechanism of action, DOE, statistics as well as data aggregation is required. Preferably candidate should also have experience in molecular biology techniques and reporter gene assays to develop bioassay cell lines for robust functional readout. The candidate will be expected to lead a team of 3-4 scientists and collaborate closely with other groups across BMS and with CROs to define bioassay strategy, data capture and dissemination. The successful candidate will have good communication and presentation skills and a collaborative spirit to interact with a matrix of Biology and Discovery teams including high throughput screening and Predictive Sciences to make assays amenable for high-throughput and deep interrogation of antibody hit sets.
- Lead a team of 3-4 scientists to deliver relevant functional bioassay data for characterization of biotherapeutics
- Collaborate with Biology teams and other cross-functional groups across BMS sites to define and develop assay strategy and establish predictive value of screening assays for the desired biological mechanism-of-action
- Establish functional mechanism-of-action assay protocols to identify leads. Drive assay optimization towards robustness and high throughput. Collaborate with high throughput screening groups to design assays suitable for automated workflows and identify other screening technologies to build functional capabilities.
- Collaborate with fellow team members to disseminate protocols and synergize on execution of hit screening
- Statistical analysis of derived data sets towards robustness, accuracy, and assay window. Knowledge of methods for efficient data capture and identification of trends and learnings across programs
- Excellent written and oral skills are necessary
- Accomplish goals under project timelines
- Supervision, mentoring and development of direct reports
- Bachelor's Degree in Cell Biology, Biotechnology or related field and 10+ years of academic / industry experience, 2+ years of leadership experience
- OR Master's Degree in Cell Biology, Biotechnology or related field and 8+ years of academic / industry experience, 2+ years of leadership experience
- OR PhD in Cell Biology, Biotechnology or related field 6+ years of academic / industry experience and, 2+ years of leadership experience
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biotechnology or related field with 6+ years of relevant experience and 2 + years of leadership experience.
- 5+ years of directly applicable experience in pharma or biotech industry focused on bioassays and functional characterization characterization is highly desirable
- Experience in leading and motivating direct reports
- Expert-level understanding and hands-on experience in cell-based assays, flow cytometry, and imaging based cellular assay formats such as reporter assays, phosphorylation analysis, ADCC, ADCP, ADC cytotoxicity
- Strong statistical knowledge to enable analysis of assay data for robustness and accuracy
- Strategic mindset, scientific creativity, ability to innovate, and aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Enthusiasm and ability to collaborate cross-groups and disciplines
- Excellent time management, record keeping and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated record of scientific achievement (strong publication and/or patent record)
The starting compensation for this jobis a range from $159,000-$185,000, plus incentive cash and stock opportunities (based on eligibility).
The starting pay rate takes into account characteristics of the job, such as required skills and the where the job is performed.
Final individual compensation will be decidedbased on demonstratedexperience.
For more on benefits, please visit our https://careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
Eligibility for specific benefits listed on our BMS Careers site may vary based on the job and location.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation.Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment.This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.