Chief of Staff and Director, Strategic Planning & Operations – Data & Statistical Sciences
- Lake County, Illinois
- Start date
- Mar 28, 2023
- Administration, Information Technology, Manufacturing & Production, General
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- BioMidwest, Best Places to Work
Data & Statistical Sciences is a global organization consisting of Clinical Data Strategy & Operations, Statistical Reporting and Standards, and Statistical Sciences and Analytics.
In this role, the Chief of Staff will partner with Vice President, Data & Statistical Sciences to drive and implement the vision of the organization. You will lead and implement various strategic planning processes across the organization, identify needs and provide recommendations to the VP in supporting the achievement of organizational goals while responding effectively to changing priorities. In this role, you represent your organization’s priorities and Ensures global and cross-functional linkage and influence between department and internal and external partners. In addition, you lead a team of individuals.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic Guidance
- Oversees strategic business initiatives from ideation to implementation. Provides the VP, DSS with strategic and operational options for the department, including contingency planning. Responsible for supporting strategic projects and resource maps including LRP and Plan.
- Leads cross departmental and cross-functional efforts to achieve multi-functional strategies and goals. Responsible for overseeing operations activities/ projects managed by others within department.
- Financial Management & Tracking
- Primarily accountable for forecasting, construction, and management of budget across multiple business areas within department. Responsible for short- and long-term forecasts, scenario development, and dynamically evolving models.
- Provide leadership, analyzes budget favorability/unfavorability, and strategically manages with departments to ensure all Functional areas operate within the current Plan/Update budget. Partner with VP and department managers to financially plan upcoming initiatives and projects.
- Tracks, evaluates, and dynamically manages vendor budgets with departments and vendor management teams
- Resource Planning
- Leads and drives the resource modeling for DSS to ensure efficient and effective allocation of resources (dynamically track workload and resource capacity).
- External Engagement
- Leads development of department external engagement strategy and annual plans, liaison with operational, scientific, and advocacy partners, and tracks portfolio of external activities including publications, congresses, regulatory/academic interactions, and industry consortia workstreams
- Operational Excellence
- Oversees, coordinates, and monitors department business management routines including performance metrics, operating reviews, and management reviews. Ensures escalation and sustainable resolution and prevention of issues and deficiencies.
- Liaison with other departments and functions within AbbVie to foster strategic partnerships, opportunity identification and realization, and issue resolution
- Leads department communications including strategic objectives and messages, annual communication and forum planning, material development, and facilitation/delivery.
- Engages and partners with other Chief of Staff for various initiatives and to build key capabilities in the organization.
- People Leadership
- Develops direct reports and capable successors through coaching, stretch assignments and learning opportunities
- Respectfully provides transparent, accurate and timely feedback to help direct reports improve performance
- Creates an inclusive environment where all direct reports can succeed
- Bachelor/Master of Science (BSc/MSc), or PhD in Science of Business-related Field BSc with 13+ yrs MSc with 12+ yrs Ph.D. with 10+ yrs
- Recognized leader in standard business procedures including project management practices, portfolio review, finance, and budgeting.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with broad business orientation
- Expert operations management experience of 5+ years in the pharmaceutical or health care industry. Proven track record for successful projects.
- Recognized as an expert with knowledge of AbbVie and global pharma drug development processes.
- Requires multi-faceted, broad-based experience in several functions and. Is considered to have in depth knowledge of operational business needs, issues, mitigation plans, etc.
- Operations experience with large budget and matrixed environment is required
VP DSS and VPs of DSS Functional Areas, HR, Finance
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert