Sr. Research Associate / Associate Scientist - AAV Engineering Platform Development
- Capsida Biotherapeutics
- Thousand Oaks, California
- Start date
- Mar 28, 2023
- Information Technology, Database Administration, Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Beach, Best Places to Work
We are a fully integrated AAV engineering and gene therapy company poised to create the next generation of innovative genetic therapies with life-changing potential for patients with grievous unmet medical needs. We leverage our proprietary high-throughput, data science-driven AAV engineering platform to create viral vectors with cell-type and tissue level specificity, overcoming many of the biological limitations of early gene therapy efforts. Combined with our in-house preclinical and manufacturing expertise, we are positioned to create the next generation of AAV delivered gene therapies, dramatically changing the lives of patients.
We are founded on the idea that diverse backgrounds and skill sets combine to create an environment that stimulates innovation and creativity, enabling us to grow into a leader in the AAV gene therapy space. Our leadership team is comprised of the scientific founders that developed the underlying intellectual property, and experienced industry veterans with a track record for bringing transformative drugs to market. Together with our partners, we will combine next generation engineered capsids with cutting edge gene editing and delivery modalities to bring novel medicines to patients that need them. Our research and development labs, offices, and manufacturing space are located in Newbury Park, near the Amgen campus.
Senior Research Associate / Associate Scientist, AAV Engineering Platform Development
We are looking for research associates to join our AAV engineering team. The goal of this position is to work collaboratively within the AAV engineering team to improve metrics and quality of selected novel variants for gene therapies. Under the guidance of an AAV engineering scientist, you will execute experiments focusing on AAV capsid discovery through high-throughput screening and innovating on the current engineering platform. A successful candidate will have a strong technical background in molecular biology and genetics, hands-on experience with AAV and/or protein engineering, and a desire to grow and learn at Capsida. Laboratory activities will constitute approximately 75% of the time.
- Follow and perform established experimental design protocols to obtain reproducible and reliable results with limited supervision.
- Record, analyze, and communicate experimental data.
- Maintain an electronic lab notebook.
- Establish experimental methods from literature and make modifications, as necessary.
- Effectively trouble-shoot equipment and experimental difficulties.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to develop experimental approaches and exchange experimental material, reagents, and data.
- BS/MS in biology, biochemistry, biomedical engineering, or related fields.
- 4+ years wet lab experience, preferably within the biotech industry.
- Hands-on experience in molecular biology: cloning techniques, primer design, PCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR, Nucleic acid purification from bacteria and mammalian cells, SDS-PAGE, Western blot.
- Experience in culturing mammalian cells, aseptic technique, and cell-based screening models.
- Ability to conduct advanced procedures precisely and consistently.
- Ability to document and maintain a detailed account of lab work and results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, organized and creative.
- Collaborative mindset, experience working as part of a larger group to achieve scientific goals.
- Background knowledge on AAV biology and AAV production is preferred.
- Expertise in RNA biology, expression optimization and splicing detection is a great plus.
- Background knowledge on protein engineering.
- Experience with next-generation sequencing and/or RNAseq.
- Experience in immunostaining techniques.
Compensation and Benefits:
The well-being of our employees and their families is of the highest importance. As such, we offer a competitive salary and exceptional benefits, including generous stock options, medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and significant PTO.
Sr. Research Associate Salary: $80,000 - $110,000 per year
Associate Scientist Salary: $88,000 - $121,000 per year
Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, stock options, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
Additionally, we offer:
- Relocation compensation
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Social lunches, happy hours, and other events on a regular basis
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Capsida Biotherapeutics is an industry-leading gene therapy platform company creating a new class of targeted, non-invasive gene therapies for patients with debilitating and life-threatening disorders.
In the past, nearly all gene therapies have been aimed at treating rare disorders in infants – partially because of tremendous unmet need in those patients but mainly because of the limitations of naturally occurring AAV capsids. At Capsida, we’re not limited by the way things have always been done. We’ve developed a high throughput platform to biologically screen and identify proprietary engineered capsids to significantly improve target specificity and penetration in disease tissues and cells, allowing the use of gene therapy in both rare and common diseases across all ages.
Through intravenous (IV) delivery of a single, engineered capsid, Capsida’s technology can target single or multiple organs simultaneously while limiting exposure to non-targeted organs.
We harness the power of our diverse backgrounds and thoughts to deliver on our purpose. We have a sense of collective responsibility and unity. We approach every challenge with energy and excitement. We remain resilient in the face of adversity because we understand innovative science is not easy. We blend innovation with execution in the pursuit to improve patient lives. We’re not limited by the way things have always been done.
Seize the opportunity to be at the forefront of gene therapy. Capsida is a rapidly growing company based in the heart of the Greater Los Angeles biotech hub. We’re looking for passionate, dedicated colleagues to join us.
• Medical, dental, vision, prescription drug coverage
• Multiple plan options including PPO and HMO
• Employee and dependent coverage is 100% company funded (95% company funded for PPO option)
• Medical insurance waiver benefit if you have other coverage
• Competitive base salary
• Bonus program
• Equity participation
• Life and disability Insurance
• 401k plan
• Paid parental leave
• Competitive PTO, paid holidays and a winter shutdown
• Employee Resource Groups
• Employee Assistance Program
• On-site snacks
1300 Rancho Conejo Blvd.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert