Senior Scientist 2, Discovery Analytical Sciences
- Eikon Therapeutics
- Hayward, California
- Start date
- Mar 28, 2023
- Information Technology, Business/Data Analytics, Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Eikon Therapeutics is a new biopharmaceutical company employing revolutionary technology at the intersection of chemistry, engineering, computation, and biology to discover novel treatments for life-threatening diseases. Eikon’s discovery platform is built on groundbreaking innovations from its founders (Nobel Prize, 2014), culminating in the creation of microscopes which enable real time, molecular-resolution measurements of protein movement in living cells, thereby unlocking otherwise intractable classes of proteins as drug targets.
The position, joining early at Eikon, will be an essential part of an interdisciplinary founding team of highly creative and talented individuals with outstanding expertise to support and advance Eikon’s core platform technologies. The main responsibility is to own the workflow of high-throughput small-molecule purification to support drug-discovery. In addition, the position will actively engage in developing and expanding analytical and purification workflows useful in the drug-discovery process.
You are an experienced analytical scientist working in drug-discovery environment supporting medicinal chemists with purification and analytical needs. You have solid understanding on the basic principles of chromatography and the working principles of chromatographic instruments – both analytical and preparative. If required, you can troubleshoot a wide array of instrument problems to reduce downtime. You are curious to identify inefficiencies in workflow and propose innovative alternatives. You can use a diverse set of instruments and technologies, such as (but not limited to) HPLC-MS, SFC-MS, CE, mass-directed purification, preparative SFC.
What You’ll Do
- Provide purification and analytical support to the medicinal chemistry team at Eikon Therapeutics in Hayward, CA.
- Develop chromatographic methods for mass-directed high-throughput purification of small-molecules
- Ensure that the preparative and the analytical instruments are maintained in good working condition. Can troubleshoot and perform minor repairs if required
- Actively participate in research efforts to improve process efficiencies, expand the range of assays and applications, and improve technologies and infrastructure - from conceptualizing to experimental design through implementation
- Anticipate requirement of additional resources, consumables, and equipment to ensure that work can be completed within a stipulated time
- May supervise or mentor junior-level staff, participate in national and international scientific conferences, provide scientific reports that support generation of publications, patents, or regulatory submissions
- Make decisions that impact entire work group / project team
- Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree in analytical sciences with 10+ years of relevant industrial and / or academic experience, or Master’s degree with 18+ years of industrial experience, or Bachelor’s degree with 20+ years of industrial experience.
- Worked as Sr Scientist and / or Pr Scientist for 4+ years in drug-discovery environment in a role similar to the current job description
- Experience of working in high-throughput environment, managing large numbers of samples and associated data
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, which includes troubleshooting processes, instruments, and data management problems
- Proficiency in computer programming using one or more common or instrument-specific languages for laboratory automation, and/or process optimization
- Proficiency in designing and performing experiments, followed by data compilation and presentation.
- Proficiency in scientific / technical writing including generation of reports related to publications, patents, or regulatory submissions
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, is essential
At Eikon, employee compensation also includes bonus and equity compensation, in addition to several generous benefit programs, including:
- 401k plan with company matching
- Medical (premiums covered by Eikon at 95%), dental and vision insurance (premiums covered by Eikon at 100%)
- Mental health and wellness benefits
- Weeklong summer and winter holiday shutdowns
- Generous paid time off and holiday policies
- Life/AD&D Insurance (premiums covered by Eikon at 100%) and optional supplemental employee-paid life/AD&D policies
- Enhanced parental leave benefit
- Daily subsidized lunch program when on-site
The expected salary range for this role is $152,000 to $175,000, depending on skills, competency and the market demand for your expertise.
Eikon is a pioneering drug discovery and development company that leverages superior engineering and high-performance computing to analyze single molecule protein behavior in living cells. We are engineering a battery of innovative tools and technologies for biological exploration in drug discovery and beyond.
Eikon thrives on the energy and creativity of interdisciplinary teams. We are physicists and chemists, biologists and engineers. We spend our days context-switching between multiple scientific languages. We work with lasers, super-resolution microscopes, and robot arms. We leverage machine learning, cell line engineering, and the collective intelligence of world-class scientists and technologists to observe therapeutically relevant biology in a way no one has before.
We’re endlessly curious, intellectually honest and we love what we do. We’re driven to learn the true mechanisms of biology and pharmacology at the molecular level, to make the biggest difference in as many lives as possible.
3929 Point Eden Way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert