Senior Manager - Translational Sciences
- South San Francisco, CA
- Start date
- Mar 26, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biology, Chemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Oncology
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
About the Opportunity
At Freenome, our goal is to improve patient outcomes by pioneering the next-generation of blood tests using our combined multiomics and machine learning platform, starting with the early and accurate detection of cancer and continuing to early intervention.
As part of Translational Science at Freenome, you will be joining a multi-disciplinary team partnering with biopharma companies to advance new applications of our platform to improve outcomes in cancer. Example project areas with a focus on early intervention include: (1) identifying molecular subtypes of cancer to add in patient selection for clinical trials/therapies, and (2) discovering predictive biomarkers of therapeutic response from pre-/post-treatment timepoints in pharma trials. As the Senior Manager for Translational Science, you are a strong individual contributor with an outstanding record of scientific achievement who has recently moved into a formal scientific leadership role. You will apply both your scientific expertise and leadership to mentor and grow a wet-lab team (and partner with computational team members) to generate data and analyses for biopharma-focused projects. You will bring a strong foundation of assay research and development experience, as well as experience from working with biopharma, to help advance our team’s research from earliest hypotheses through to final delivery of projects.
What you'll do:
- Manage and serve as a technical lead for a growing team that generates data for our partner studies, including the innovation and development of new techniques to read out biological features from different multi-omics data types.
- Leverage prior experience working in/with biopharma and in cancer biology, including but not limited to early cancer detection and molecular signatures across various types and stages of cancer; through this knowledge, help to shape our strategic plans and execution of projects.
- Work with the high throughput lab and molecular teams to implement DNA, RNA, and protein assays, including genome-wide and targeted approaches, by applying expert knowledge of molecular biology, biochemistry, and NGS.
- Collaborate with computational biologists, machine learning scientists, and software engineers to analyze and interpret data.
- Implement protocols and workflows upstream of sequencing, including biofluid sample collection, nucleic acid extraction and quantitation, and library preparation.
- Investigate the biological origin of blood-based biomarkers by performing detailed characterization of cell-free material, tumors, and the immune system.
- PhD (or equivalent industry experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, chemistry, cancer biology, or a related field with experience in settings such as pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or diagnostic companies
- 4+ years post-PhD experience applying experimental techniques for biomarker discovery and product development, ideally in industry.
- Broad, expert-level knowledge of next-generation sequencing assays for DNA and RNA
- Experience managing projects with outside groups including project management skills to organize work across a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate to both scientific and broader audiences.
- Experience mentoring or managing junior scientists, with an ability to work on a cross-functional team (with both computational and experimental scientists).
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of discovery and targeted assays for proteomics, including both general analyte enrichment as well as optimization for specific post-translational modifications or analytical platforms.
- Strong molecular biology skills (in areas PCR, cloning, library prep, and NGS for nucleic acid work; in areas like western blotting, ELISA, and biophysical characterization (e.g., SPR, Octet, ITC, FRET) if proteomic background).
The US target range of our base salary rate for new hires is $157,250 - $240,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Freenome is a high growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Bain Capital, GV, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Novartis, Verily, and more.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
- (650) 446-6630
279 East Grand Avenue
South San Francisco
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert