Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
To fight the war on cancer, Freenome has raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including a16z, GV (formerly Google Ventures), T. Rowe Price, BainCapital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
Are you ready for the fight? A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrive in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career. Freenomers are determined, patient-centric, and outcomes-driven. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. We are dedicated to advancing healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a Clinical Laboratory Scientist II (CLS II) who will perform high-complexity laboratory testing on study specimens, performing quality control and quality assurance procedures, and comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements. The work requires keeping meticulous and organized records; excellent attention to detail; and the ability to flexibly prioritize multiple tasks and schedules, analysis, and results. The CLS II will be involved with training, troubleshooting, leading projects, meeting project deliverables, and understanding and implementing laboratory goals. The CLS II must also demonstrate excellent communication skills, proactively communicating team goals and priorities clearly, openly and objectively, and communicating changes, issues and challenges in all directions of the organization.
The role reports to the Director, Laboratory Operations - NGS Clinical Lab.
The standard hours of this position are 9:00am-5:30pm. The working hours are subject to change to support special projects. Flexibility to support these projects is required for this role. Sufficient notice will be provided. Shift examples are AM and PM: AM (7:00am-3:30pm) and PM (2:00pm-10:30pm). The AM and PM shifts will rotate through the team as needed and projects can last up to 9 months.
Current anticipated project to occur beginning in summer 2023 and in this case, lasting approximately 5-6 months in duration.
What you’ll do:
- Perform high-complexity laboratory tests, procedures, and analyses according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures (SOPs) and work instructions
- Collaborate with the Development Team and the Automation Team to lead and to execute assay improvement experiments, new assay configurations, and validations
- Operate, maintain, troubleshoot, and document routine preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment according to the laboratory’s SOPs for machines and devices including, but not limited to, the following: centrifuges, freezers, refrigerators, pipettors, incubators, NovaSeq units, Flexmap units, Blue® Washers, Bravo units, Hamilton units, and work cells, as needed
- Review, interpret, and report study results in the company’s laboratory information management system (LIMS) as assigned
- Independently identify and troubleshoot high-complexity assay problems that adversely affect the test performance
- Perform, review, and document laboratory quality control procedures
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
- Report all quality issues and/or safety concerns to the laboratory supervisor or safety officer
- Train existing laboratory personnel in new procedures and train new laboratory personnel
- Prepare reagents required for testing
- Perform and document reagent qualification per the approved protocols
- Provide direct supervision of the work of unlicensed laboratory personnel during the analytical phase of testing
- Write and review procedures, documents, and forms
- Communicate effectively with coworkers and non-laboratory personnel
- Perform other laboratory duties as assigned
- Lead the introduction of assay improvements, new assay configurations, and validation
- If necessary, act as a team leader when assigned to provide assistance to the laboratory supervisors and leads, including but not limited to:
- Assist in administrative duties, including but not limited to the review of documents and forms
- Take charge of shift communication if supervisors and leads are not present
- Assist supervisors with coaching CLSs and laboratory associates, including but not limited to proving guidance and constructive feedback
- Provide issue updates to supervisors and leads
- Assist in sample and process troubleshooting
- Monitor data and process status as needed
- Valid California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license (Generalist preferred, CGMBS accepted)
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field
- Working knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations
- At least 2 years of Clinical Laboratory experience or equivalent
- Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Ability to analyze and problem solve complex issues that may impact test performance
Nice to haves:
- Experience managing clinical laboratory personnel preferred
- Laboratory testing experience within the last five years preferred
- High volume laboratory experience preferred
- Experience in molecular biology techniques preferred
- Strong automation and computing skills
- Experience working with laboratory automation such as Hamilton or Bravo liquid handlers
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base hourly for new hires is $55.17 - $84.13. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.