At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
At Lilly, we serve an extraordinary purpose. We make a difference for people around the globe by discovering, developing and delivering medicines that help them live longer, healthier, more active lives. Not only do we deliver breakthrough medications, but you also can count on us to develop creative solutions to support communities through philanthropy and volunteerism.
The Analytical Technical Steward in API (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient) External Manufacturing Quality Control is a technical position helping to ensure that the analytical testing of products at multiple sites meets both Lilly and external requirements and is executed consistently to predetermined standards. The Analytical Technical Steward reviews data released by contract manufacturers according to API EM Risk Based Oversight Governance to ensure it meets internal integration and data integrity expectations, reviews deviations for trends, reviews and/or releases stability data, and leads resolution of laboratory related manufacturing issues by performing in-depth problem solving, proactively identifying opportunities for continuous improvement, and completing thorough investigations of aberrant data and results. They may perform non-routine lab work in support of this. Additionally, the Analytical Technical Steward represents the quality laboratories on cross-functional internal and joint process teams. The Analytical Technical Steward works closely with development counterparts and GQL (Global Quality Laboratories) to ensure robust analytical control strategies are established for molecules they support.
- Technical review, interpretation, and release of data including data released from CM (Contract Manufacturers), stability, process validation, and reference standard characterization.
- Utilizes technical skills to lead or perform in-depth investigations for out of specification results and aberrant data. Draws conclusions and performs root cause analysis investigations and recommends solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Develop investigational testing protocols and perform testing as required.
- Contribute to APR, tech transfer, and process validation as required.
- Communicate effectively in both written and oral formats within the API EM organization as well as with external customers and business partners.
- Participate in internal/external audits as needed.
- Develop and ensure execution of quality plan projects.
- Coordinate testing needs across sites in support of batch release, stability, process validation, or single batch verification testing.
- Performs method assessments, with deficiencies and areas for improvement noted within the assessments.
- Ensure that method validation packages for marketed products are consistent with current regulatory expectations and compendial monographs. This includes evaluating existing method validation data and taking actions to facilitate updating packages as needed.
- Participates in method validations according to Global Quality Standards (either to bring methods up to current regulatory requirements or to provide additional data to support method changes or changes in practices).
- Review of analytical test method packages.
- Approval of test method protocols.
- Approval of new test methods or changes or deletions to existing test methods.
- Provides laboratory support (e.g., method development, validation, and implementation of method improvements) for marketed products (including: laboratory work, training/transfer of new method to QC labs, change controls, and regulatory submissions).
- Support technical agenda projects including the implementation of new technologies into QC labs and improvements to existing methodologies.
- Improve assays in QC. These improvements include variability reduction, method optimization, and new method development.
- Local and Global Method Change Control Ownership.
- Oversight of reference standard evaluations per Global Quality Standards.
- Selection of appropriate packaging materials.
- Consult in the preparation of the characterization protocol for corporate reference standards.
- Approve the characterization protocol before the initiation of laboratory testing of candidate materials for corporate reference standards.
- Participate in the review of the reference standard profile and associated documentation for data integrity.
- Method transfers to Contract Manufacturers.
- Oversee transfer of analytical methods for marketed products to CM laboratories or to designated third party QC labs.
- Monograph review and implementation.
- Ensures consistent practices between laboratories running the same methods.
- Effective management of multiple projects.
- Bachelor degree (4 year College) in a science field related to the lab (e.g. Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy)
- 3+ years of industry related experience in pharmaceuticals in a GMP lab (especially large molecule, small molecule or peptide)
- Demonstrated proficiency in complex laboratory analysis including, but not limited to chromatographic (both HPLC and GC), spectroscopic, and bioassay. Working LC-MS knowledge strongly preferred.
- Ability to work in a lab environment, including wearing appropriate PPE and following safety guidelines.
- Deep understanding of compliance requirements and regulatory expectations.
- Demonstrated accuracy and proficiency in analytical skills.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills. Preferred training completion and demonstrated proficiency in Root Cause Analysis methodology.
- Strong oral and written communication skills demonstrated through documentation and presentations.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal interaction skills.
- Ability to work in cross functional teams as well as across networks.
- Demonstrated analytical skills.
- Demonstrated experience with method qualification, validation, and transfer.
- Proven ability to provide QC support for contract manufacturers of starting materials, intermediates, and APIs to include small molecules, monoclonal antibodies, synthetic peptides, and E. coli platform large molecules.
- Proficient in establishment and maintenance of GMP or CS mode analytical equipment, to include computer systems validation (CSV).
- Proven ability to support maintenance of Corporate Reference Standards and manage testing and reporting of results from contract manufacturers.
- Tasks may require repetitive motion and standing for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift at least 5 liters of liquid
- May be required to provide 24 hour cell phone coverage (rare)
- May require up to approximately 20% of travel overseas
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.
As a condition of employment with Eli Lilly and Company and its subsidiaries in the United States and Puerto Rico, you must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination satisfactory to the company (subject to applicable law).