Associate Director, National and Regional Congresses
- Lake County, Illinois
- Start date
- Mar 24, 2023
- Marketing, Event Management, Marketing/Corporate Communications, Regulatory, Regulatory Affairs
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- BioMidwest, Best Places to Work
Our talented, highly creative marketing professionals put AbbVie in the best position to win by driving strategic direction, leading teams and creating targeted messaging to health care decision makers. Marketing professionals are among our most versatile performers. AbbVie marketing professionals are involved in just about every aspect of our business. This involvement spans market access, market research, market analytics and competitive intelligence, R&D and clinical trials, product launches, advertising and promotion and post-market analysis.
It is an exciting time to join AbbVie’s growing oncology team as we pursue our mission to have a remarkable impact on the lives of people affected by cancer. For more information, please visit http://abbvieoncology.com.
The Franchise Marketing team is responsible for leading strategy and maximizing effectiveness across the Oncology franchise as it relates to: Congresses, Conferences, Sponsorships, Marketing Sponsored meetings, State Society Meetings, Speaker Programs, GPO Execution and external consulting for programming and speakers bureau. This team works collaboratively with other U.S. Commercial Oncology teams to establish and manage strategies derived from brand plans, create annual plans related to the above focus areas, and work alongside AbbVie internal functions to support flawless execution.
The Associate Director will lead a team that is responsible for both the solid and hematology Congress and Sponsorship as well as Marketing Sponsored meetings and State Society engagement strategy for the disease state, Brand and pathology educational campaigns, as well as create the Franchise One Oncology (Global, Medical and Commercial) pre-and-post conference strategy for the larger U.S. national Congresses. The successful candidate is someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment and is passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with unmet medical needs. This position may have up to 2 direct reports.
The Associate Director will serve as the lead for both the creative communications agency and AbbVie’s digital Congress agency, as well as AbbVie’s Business Service Group. In addition, the successful candidate will closely collaborate with on-market and future Oncology Brands, other external agencies, Managed Care/GPO, Global Marketing and Commercial Operations (GMCO), Patient Advocacy, Field Sales and Operations, Public Affairs and Internal Communications in order to build, execute and create materials for various marketing-sponsored meetings—including both National and Regional Congresses.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Create a multi-Brand, Oncology franchise approach to Congress and sponsorships. Continually innovate and elevate AbbVie Oncology’s approach across the franchise for all portfolio projects, inclusive of both Venclexta and Imbruvica.
- Lead integrated strategy and annual planning process for Congresses and Sponsorships related to cross-franchise brand plans and lead the governance with the cross-functional executive leadership team. This includes building and presenting the Congress Readiness Reviews for sr. leadership
- Partner with the solids team to identify and prioritize U.S. sponsorships and serve as the lead in creating the strategy to compliment the overall franchise strategy. Serve as lead for Congress material creation for solids, in partnership with the Brand Agencies of Record
- Lead annual budget planning (detailing in excess of ~15MM annually) for all meetings and sponsorships to ensure appropriate funding in order to deliver on Brand objectives and oversee management of team budget
- Analyze and champion sponsorship opportunities for maximum return on investment and engagement—including seeking best practices through competitive research
- Ensure adherence to relevant policies and procedures related to planning and executing Congresses and Sponsorships, in collaboration with Compliance and Legal
- Coach and provide direction to team to track relevant metrics and develop output to internal stakeholders. Team is responsible for managing on-site meeting execution as needed, including pre-event exhibit selection, booth set-up, onsite logistical and exhibitor training, development and management of exhibitor schedule and execution during booth hours
- Maintain high level of cross-functional coordination, strategic planning, budget adherence, customer service and creativity in building the strategy and managing and executing all aspects of Congress operations and meeting execution for the more than ~120 congresses/meetings/sponsorships executed annually.
Looking for a candidate who has significant capability to deliver on both the strategic and operational needs of the role, while bringing a thoughtful perspective, drive for results, collaborative approach and ability to work with, influence and communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years relevant marketing and trade show experience
- Track record of successful cross functional team leadership and culture
- Experience in digital health initiatives and campaigns (e.g. virtual booths, webinars, podcasts, social media platforms, CRM, paid search / Search Engine Optimization, etc.)
- Knowledge of current regulatory requirements and guidelines governing U.S. Congresses and external communications to health care providers and patients
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an executive presence
- Excellent diplomacy and facilitation skills; ability to influence without authority
- Motivating self-starter that is detail and solutions oriented with a flexible, positive approach
- Able to make sound decisions and communication recommendations after careful consideration of various courses of action, decision support data and the regulatory environment
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Smartsheet) and Microsoft Teams
- Solid business acumen
- Ability to travel up to 30%
- Knowledge of AbbVie policies, procedures, culture and other brand team operations
- Knowledge and experience in hematology and solid tumor—both on-market and launch
- Pharmaceutical industry experiences (Client or Agency)
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert