Research Scientist - Biomarker - Virology
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionTitle: Research Scientist (RS), Immunology/Virology, Biomarker Sciences
The RS/SRS I, Biomarker Sciences is responsible for the design of biomarker and diagnostic strategies for Gilead HIV Cure programs. The individual will direct the development, outsourcing and validation of clinically applicable biomarker assays (including pharmacodynamic, predictive, prognostic, safety and other biomarkers). Duties also include the implementation and oversight of biomarker and diagnostic testing and data analysis. The successful candidate will work in a dynamic multidisciplinary matrixed team environment to support both early and late stage clinical programs. Experience in successful development and execution of biomarker strategies for clinical stage programs and a strong understanding of clinical development for HIV Cure programs is highly desired.Responsibilities:
- Support development of project specific immune/host biomarkers and diagnostic strategies for HIV Cure Program.
- Support a cross-functional Biomarker Team to oversee the delivery of biomarker and diagnostic strategies.
- Identify, establish and oversee external collaborations with key opinion leaders/CROs to advance understanding of host viral responses.
- Provide expertise to research and development teams to ensure access to state of the art thinking on immune assay technologies, evaluating their scientific basis and clinical applicability.
- Collaborate with expertise in Research Biology for synergy in interrogating both viral and immune-related mechanisms.
- Strong experimental background with demonstrated ability to execute well-designed decision-making experiments
- Maintain knowledge of scientific advances and competitive activity from literature, scientific meetings and external contacts.
- Must be able to work independently and effectively on multiple programs in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong motivation, attention to detail and full integration into a high achieving team environment.
- High level of business awareness.
- Demonstrated expertise in HIV/AIDS immunology and/or HIV virology.
- Broad understanding of drug discovery and development in both early and late stage
development and familiarity with the regulatory approval process.
- Strong background in technologies associated with immune drug development programs such as immunoassays, FACS, CyTOF, IHC/IF, single cell analysis and nucleic acid sequencing and analysis.
- Knowledge of biomarker discovery and development: assay development/validation, clinical discovery of biomarkers, mechanism of action studies.
- Authoring of biomarker strategy documents and biomarker specific portions of clinical protocols.
- Basic understanding of technical aspects of companion diagnostics development.
- Analysis of preclinical and clinical biomarker data.
- Proven publication record.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic understanding of intellectual property, contracting terms, and provisions.
PhD and/or post-doctoral training in immunology, virology or similar 0-3 years of directly relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience. Direct experience with HIV cure program, or HIV/AIDS immunology, and/or HIV virology a plus. Candidate must be detail-oriented with excellent record keeping and organizational skills. Must be a highly flexible, results-oriented, independent self-starter who enjoys working in a fast paced dynamic environment.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance.Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S., Canada, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.