Senior Staff Engineer, Packaging, Consumables, Plastic Injection Molding
- Menlo Park, CA
- Start date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Manufacturing & Production, Manufacturing/Mechanical, Materials/Inventory Control
- Required Education
- Masters Degree/MBA
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Pacific Biosciences is seeking an experienced, highly motivated packaging scientist/engineer to join the SMRT Cell New Product Introduction (NPI) team to work on current and next generation products. This opportunity involves working as part of a highly diverse, multi-disciplinary team to develop complex electrically, optically, and biologically integrated semiconductor chip sequencing technologies with challenging packaging requirements.
The ideal candidate is an independent thinker and self-starter who works great in a team setting as well as on individual projects. A broad knowledge of packaging component processes/processing, industry shipping standards and testing, and packaging materials, design, and optimization is essential. This person will work very closely with external vendors and test facilities, representing the company for specific product lines. Travel to vendor sites and corporate locations is expected.
The candidate must have an appetite for solving complex problems requiring holistic evaluation of process/product factors and actively seek opportunities for process improvement based on statistically meaningful, data-driven conclusions. Software and database experience and advanced data analysis skills are also highly desirable.
The candidate will be responsible for ensuring that high-quality products are delivered from external partners. Their primary focus will be collaborating with external component/test vendors, manufacturing, and R&D to execute new projects and continuing improvement projects associated with final product packaging and package processing and reliability. Project responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Interfacing with and leading integrated teams to drive execution of long-term engineering projects.
- Ownership of new product transfer activities from R&D to manufacturing.
- Engage early in the product development cycle to define packaging requirements and provide Design for Manufacturability (DFM) input.
- Coordinate with Manufacturing and Research/Development to define process transfer deliverables, shipping standards requirements/testing, and qualification criteria enabling successful process/product transfer to production and volume ramp.
- Definition of manufacturing infrastructure (SPC charts, workflows, work instructions, etc.) required to support production.
- Coordinate with contract manufacturers and external vendors to coordinate supplies of materials, services, and assemblies for manufacture of consumables
- Partner with manufacturing to support production.
- Analysis of process monitor, QC, and field data to understand and identify process drift, increases in defectivity and yield loss, and sources of performance variation.
- Define and execute CIP projects to effect positive change in cost/quality/cycle time/functional performance.
- Define rework processes and backup/redundancy systems.
- Work with the customer experience team to address RMAs and field performance issues.
- MS or equivalent experience in Packaging Science/Engineering, Materials Science, or Mechanical Engineering
- 8+ years of industry experience: designing product packaging to conventional shipping standards for a variety of product types (discrete component, liquid, bulk material) using a variety of materials (plastics/polymers, adhesives, coatings, foils, cushioning material, etc.), developing/optimizing packaging, and execution of packaging/shipping reliability testing
- Experience with designing for injection molding and injection molded parts, working with injection molders
- Experience with ultrasonic welding and sealing
- Experience with thermal and inductive sealing and welding
- Experience managing and interfacing with OSAT vendors preferred
- Experience with MES/manufacturing automation systems
- Experience with Design for Manufacturability (DFM), solid modeling (CAD), and statistical analysis (multivariate and DOE preferred)
- Knowledge of ISTA Shipping Standards (especially ISTA 3A, Standard 20/ISTA-7E), ISO 9001, ISO 13485 QMS
- Proficiency with JMP, MS Office Suite of programs, SolidWorks (or other solid CAD modeler), SQL databases, and data mining
- Strong sense of ownership and drive for success
- Strong communication and documentation skills including qualification plans/reports, specifications, procedures, work instructions, and technician training
- Ability to travel up 20% of the time
Salary Range:$162,600.00 - $220,000.00
Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, proof of COVID vaccination is required for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions).
To ensure the health and safety of all PacBio employees and our prospective candidates, we have instituted a virtual interview experience.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at PacBio. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. PacBio does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PacBio employees or any other company location. PacBio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at 650-521-8000, or http://email@example.com for assistance.
Visit our following pages for more information on:
1305 O'Brien Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert