- Lake County, Illinois
- Start date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Engineering, Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer, Manufacturing & Production
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- BioMidwest, Best Places to Work
The Automation Engineer provides automation support for manufacturing operations in accordance with appropriate GMP and safety guidelines. This support includes change control implementation, deviation investigation, routine automation computer system support activities, and off hours automation computer system support. The Automation Engineer also leads non-routine automation computer system support activities, delivers engineering projects to the business, can utilize first principles in delivery of these solutions, and can recommend new control strategies for the various chemical processes utilized in manufacturing operations.
The Automation Engineer performs engineering design and installation services for automated process equipment, facility systems and software systems. They perform troubleshooting and corrective maintenance on all facility and production equipment. Primary responsibility is for maintaining automated electromechanical systems and software. This includes project support related to facility modifications, equipment installations, and maintenance activities. Typical project work involves developing specification for equipment and systems and coordinating implementation activities to place the systems into service.
To be successful, the position will interface with Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, suppliers, and 3rd party contractor firms. Candidates should feel comfortable working in a plant environment. Strong communication and skills along with technical knowledge of process control systems are required ensure that the needs of manufacturing are being met on a consistent basis.
- Provide automation technical support to manufacturing operations for D/3, DeltaV, and Rockwell/Allen-Bradley control system platforms and connected process information systems (e.g., data historians, alarm analytics software).
- Lead Modernization efforts to upgrade or replace obsolete control systems.
- Informally mentor less experienced engineers.
- Provide a high level of data mining and analysis to identify improvements in the manufacturing process.
- Design and implement automation related changes to manufacturing operations
- Develop and maintain validation documentation
- Lead investigation of automation related deviations.
- Support system support activities (e.g. system backups, performance monitoring, password maintenance, etc.)
- Provide off-hours automation support to operations.
- Perform all work in a manner consistent with company policies, procedures, and standards.
- Maintain a safe work environment, working safely and accountable for supporting all EHS Corporate and Site goals.
- Provide engineering solutions to the business.
- Automation design and delivery of new process units.
- Provides project management and technical leadership to projects.
- Oversight of specialists and/or contractors assisting in the delivery of automation solutions.
- Utilizes S88 Batch and fundamental engineering principles in the delivery of automation solutions.
- Is responsible for ensuring that life-cycle plans are developed and executed for automation systems.
- Provide recommendations on new control strategies/technologies.
- Research and maintain familiarity with various control strategies/technologies.
- Research and maintain familiarity with fermentation/chemical processes utilized in pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Hands on experience during project installation, startup and on-going support activities is important.
- Work with all departments to support the manufacturing operations and to improve methods for automated data collection and reporting, and overall reliability and performance of equipment and systems. This includes existing systems and new installation projects. Keep an open line of communication across departments and managerial lines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of professional engineering and/or operational experience
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and ability to solve related issues and provide effective solutions that support overall engineering/operational objectives.
- Prior operations experience in a GMP regulated environment desirable.
- Ability to balance priorities and/or resources to ensure immediate demands are achieved without sacrificing long-term operational strategies.
- Ability to write policies, procedures, and communications to regulators and management.
- Ability to conduct effective training as necessary for the operation of facilities/equipment.
- Uses standard office program m(Microsoft) for daily communications and project work.
- Has experience with or is willing to learn programming of PLCs (Rockwell) and DCS (Emerson Delta V System)
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Stock Symbol: ABBV
Stock Exchange: NYSE
1 North Waukegan Road
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert