Analytical Purification Scientist
- Eli Lilly and Company
- San Diego, California
- Start date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Information Technology, Business/Data Analytics, Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Best Places to Work
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
The Discovery Chemistry Research & Technologies organization within Lilly Research Laboratories (LRL) is seeking an Analytical Purification Scientist with expertise in normal and reverse phase chromatography to join our analytical team which is an integral part of the Medicinal Chemistry group located at Lilly Biotechnology Center, San Diego, CA.
The ideal candidate will:
- Keep safety as the top priority at all times, striving to maintain a proactive safety culture.
- Work across all areas of achiral purification including normal and reverse phased purification, crude sample analysis, method selection, and quality control.
- Use their scientific knowledge and experience of various analytical techniques to solve diverse problems, develop purification methods, and influence purification strategy at project, team, and departmental levels.
- Have a strong collaboration-focused mentality to ensure portfolio project teams can rapidly iterate through design cycles.
- Work in close collaboration with external partners to ensure a positive relationship and rapid delivery of quality data.
- Be responsible for purification instruments, providing basic troubleshooting and partnering with groups for support.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Contribute to Lilly Research Lab-wide initiatives embracing diversity of thought, background, and experience to deliver creative solutions in the face of ambiguity.
- BS degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field with 1+ years of experience with small molecule chromatography/purification and preparative HPLC
Additional Desired Skills:
- MS Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field.
- Experience working in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills.
- Hands-on experience with Waters, Agilent HPLC/MS, and ISCO instruments.
- Experience with a variety of sample drying equipment, such as Genevac HT and Biotage V10 evaporators, and lyophilizers.
- Experience with software such as MassLynx, ChemStation, MNova, and KNIME is highly desirable.
- Experience in isolating structurally diverse organic molecules from complex mixtures.
- Experience using medium pressure (flash) instruments including method development using TLC.
- Experience interacting with synthetic and medicinal chemistry teams.
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting software and hardware from analytical instrumentation.
- Experience interpreting LCMS and NMR data.
- Experience with supercritical fluid chromatography (SFC) is a plus.
- Experience with automated liquid handling systems such as Hamilton, Biosero, and Tecan.
- Hardworking and self-motivated, with the communication skills necessary to operate effectively in a fast-paced multidisciplinary environment with flexibility and an adaptable approach to goal delivery.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.
As a condition of employment with Eli Lilly and Company and its subsidiaries in the United States and Puerto Rico, you must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination satisfactory to the company (subject to applicable law).
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert