Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
This is an entry-level non-supervisory technical position supporting the software and systems used by USPs Publications Department to produce and enhance its online publications, databases and repositories. The Associate Technical Content Developer will work closely with experienced developers as part of a team responsible for maintaining and customizing Oxygen, USPs DITA XML authoring tool, as well as developing XSLT stylesheets to transform XML into various formats. You will be involved in all aspects of the software development life cycle, from requirements gathering and analysis to design, implementation, testing and maintenance. Familiarity with XML, XSLT, DTDs, DITA tools, CSS and HTML preferred. Experience with Jira for issue reporting and understanding of version control tools like Git and CVS required.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
As Associate Technical Content Developer in the USP Publications Department, you will:
- Work with senior developers to design, develop, customize and maintain DITA XML authoring and publishing technologies for USP electronic products
- Learn and apply new technical skills and programming languages
- Work with product and USP IT team members to create requirements, support development, and resolve technical issues
- Create and modify XML transformation applications for print and online products; participate in code reviews and contribute to continuous improvement of software development practices
- Apply version control to test and production software in USP-approved repositories using Git and CVS
- Assist in creation of release notes in accordance with IT best practices; help write and revise instruction documents
- Analyze, troubleshoot, and debug files; utilize Jira or other issue-tracking application tickets; provide periodic activity reports on Jira tickets
- Actively seek out ways to streamline publishing processes either independently or as a participant in planning sessions and/or sub-teams
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, a commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, an ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, and the following competencies and experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Communications or related field. Two years equivalent experience in these fields will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Strong understanding of at least one programming language, such as Java or Python; familiarity with XML, XSLT, DTDs, DITA tools, CSS and HTML preferred
- Basic knowledge of MS Office Suite, including Word, Project, PowerPoint and Excel
Additional Desired Preferences
- Knowledge of software development best practices, including version control, testing and debugging
- Familiarity with Agile development methodology
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to provide clear, concise feedback on an ad hoc and a routine basis
- Proactive, results-oriented focus towards work and product deliverables
- Ability to work comfortably in a deadline-driven environment with multiple priorities; ability to prioritize effectively; well-developed time management skills
- Ability to understand when and how to escalate issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired:
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully present vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our workfrom the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Information Technology
Job Type Full-Time