Cellular Modeling Internship
- Maze Therapeutics
- South San Francisco, CA
- Start date
- Mar 21, 2023
- Science/R&D, Cell Biology, Laboratory, Molecular Biology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
We Are Genetic Navigators bringing together passionate, creative, and dedicated scientists, professionals and students to in our mission to translate novel genetic insights into lifesaving medicines. We pride ourselves in a novel research platform for rare and common genetic based diseases with active drug programs in development. Located in South San Francisco, scientists collaborate on experimental design to discover and validate new targets of interest.
Maze is comprised of a team of passionate and creative professionals committed to discovering and delivering transformative medicines to patients suffering from both rare and common genetic diseases. We are fostering a culture that encourages vision, initiative, and the development of talent. Our supportive work environment inspires creative thinking and freedom of expression, resulting in a stimulating atmosphere where people enjoy coming to work. While we have a passion for advanced science and pride ourselves on excellence in execution, ultimately, everything we do is about patients.
Our Core Values
Further Together – Our path is paved with challenges, but with resilience and a team-first mentality, we’ll achieve our mission.
Impact Obsessed – We embrace the bold, take calculated risks, and learn from our mistakes to improve the lives of others.
Stand True – Our integrity is foundational; it guides us no matter the obstacle.
We are seeking a talented and motivated future cell biologist to join our cellular modeling team for the summer (10-12 weeks). They will contribute to projects centered around human induced pluripotent stem cell (hiPSC) based models for neurodegenerative drug discovery - gaining first-hand experience in designing, implementing, and analyzing experiments to characterize molecular and cellular phenotypes in this system. This is an exciting opportunity to work in a dynamic cross-functional team environment that will contribute to the characterization and validation of multiple tools to advance our neurodegeneration programs.
Your Role as an Intern:
- You will conduct a variety of cell and molecular biology based lab experiments (qPCR, cloning, fluorescence microscopy, etc.) in consultation with cellular modeling team members
- You will read and discuss primary scientific literature to help design your experiments
- You will utilize electronic lab notebook software to keep track of experimental procedures and results
- You will analyze your experimental results with support from your mentors
- You will summarize and present your experimental findings in group and department research meetings
- Currently enrolled in a university Bachelor’s degree program. Cell culture, molecular biology or other lab experiences a plus
- Comfortable with basic functions involving PowerPoint, Excel, Word. Coding experience (R, Python, etc.) a plus but not required
- Self-motivated team player interested in learning new skills
- Willingness to present data in both written and verbal forums
- Detail-oriented with a commitment to data integrity
- Candidate is expected to be on-site 40 hours per 5-day work week
The expected hourly rate for this role is as follows:
Maze Therapeutics is translating novel genetic insights into lifesaving medicines, through an approach that integrates human genetics and functional genomics. Advances in these areas have enabled us to decode the mysteries of genetic modifiers in a range of severe diseases, which we aim to turn into medicines that mimic protective mutations.
What are genetic modifiers?
Despite an understanding of the genetic basis for many diseases, it remains a mystery why some people with a disease-causing mutation never get sick. This is often due to genes elsewhere in our DNA that affect the severity of disease and can provide a natural form of protection.
The Maze approach
Dramatic advances in human genetics and functional genomics now enable us to decode the mysteries of genetic modifiers in a range of severe diseases. Today, we believe we can systematically identify genetic modifiers and turn these insights into medicines. We have assembled a world-class team to realize this vision, including creative scientific pioneers, experienced company builders and biotech industry leaders.
Join us in our pursuit to change lives by translating genetic insights into medicine - view our job postings with the link to the left.
171 Oyster Point Blvd, Suite 200
South San Francisco
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert