Summer 2023 Biochemistry Internship
- Eikon Therapeutics
- Hayward, California
- Start date
- Mar 19, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biology, Chemistry
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Eikon Therapeutics is a new biopharmaceutical company employing revolutionary technology at the intersection of chemistry, engineering, computation, and biology to discover novel treatments for life-threatening diseases. Eikon’s discovery platform is built on groundbreaking innovations from its founders (Nobel Prize, 2014), culminating in the creation of microscopes which enable real time, molecular-resolution measurements of protein movement in living cells, thereby unlocking otherwise intractable classes of proteins as drug targets.
As a Summer Intern joining at Eikon, you will join an interdisciplinary team of highly creative and talented individuals with outstanding expertise in the Company’s core platform technologies. You will learn from and collaborate with scientists to establish and characterize cell lines using state-of-the-art genome editing tools in a medium to high throughput fashion. You’ll also be able to learn and contribute to early drug discovery by developing cell lines that are critical for the single molecule tracking platform and by performing other functional assays.
As a Summer Research Intern at Eikon, you will have an active role amongst an interdisciplinary founding team of highly creative and talented individuals with outstanding expertise in Eikon’s core platform technologies. You will utilize data from our single molecule tracking platform and your knowledge of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry to learn principles of protein expression and purification, allowing you to gain a deeper understanding of the interdisciplinary nature of drug discovery.
You’re a biologist who loves to solve difficult problems and are not discouraged by challenges. You’re a rigorous experimentalist who takes pride in your ability to execute at the bench. You’re conscientious and pay almost obsessive attention to detail, documentation and organization are second nature. You’re collaborative by nature and are happy to jump in and help. You’re resourceful and like to work independently but are not shy to ask for advice. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy pushing the edge of what is possible.
What You’ll Do
- Work with other biochemists/biologists, chemists, and engineers to advance our drug discovery pipeline and progress scientific goals
- Utilize scientific literature and databases to design protein expression constructs
- Conduct protein expression, purification, modification and characterization
- Participate in assay and platform development
- Help with lab operational activities
- Clearly analyze, accurately document, and communicate experimental results
- Maintain a high level of scientific integrity, laboratory safety and act as a resource for others
- Collaborate and communicate across a diverse research team to successfully progress scientific goals
- Currently enrolled in an accredited university with a major in biochemistry, molecular biology, or related field of study
- Prior experience in common molecular biology or biochemistry laboratory practices is useful
- Self-motivated and independent with the ability to work under minimum supervision
- Ability to manage own priorities and deliverables while being strongly team oriented and highly collaborative
- Ability to communicate clearly, and build open collaborative relationships is essential
The expected hourly range for this role is $30.00 per hour depending on skills, competency and the market demand for your expertise.
Eikon is a pioneering drug discovery and development company that leverages superior engineering and high-performance computing to analyze single molecule protein behavior in living cells. We are engineering a battery of innovative tools and technologies for biological exploration in drug discovery and beyond.
Eikon thrives on the energy and creativity of interdisciplinary teams. We are physicists and chemists, biologists and engineers. We spend our days context-switching between multiple scientific languages. We work with lasers, super-resolution microscopes, and robot arms. We leverage machine learning, cell line engineering, and the collective intelligence of world-class scientists and technologists to observe therapeutically relevant biology in a way no one has before.
We’re endlessly curious, intellectually honest and we love what we do. We’re driven to learn the true mechanisms of biology and pharmacology at the molecular level, to make the biggest difference in as many lives as possible.
3929 Point Eden Way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert