Senior Optical Engineer
- Eikon Therapeutics
- Hayward, California
- Start date
- Mar 19, 2023
- Engineering, Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Bay
Eikon Therapeutics is a new biopharmaceutical company employing revolutionary technology at the intersection of chemistry, engineering, computation, and biology to discover novel treatments for life-threatening diseases. Eikon’s discovery platform is built on groundbreaking innovations from its founders (Nobel Prize, 2014), culminating in the creation of microscopes which enable real time, molecular-resolution measurements of protein movement in living cells, thereby unlocking otherwise intractable classes of proteins as drug targets.
The Hardware group at Eikon Therapeutics develops super-resolution, high-throughput optical instrumentation. This multi-disciplinary group of engineers is responsible for architecting, developing, and manufacturing highly complex systems for internal use. The Hardware team seeks a Senior Optical Engineer to join its pilot production line and support the production of optical instruments or their sub-assemblies.
You are a process-oriented manufacturing engineer with a background and expertise in building or testing optomechanical systems. You are proactive, intellectually curious and demonstrate a growth mindset. You have strong communication skills, including good documentation skills and practices. Finally, you are team-oriented, flexible, and adaptable to rapidly evolving goals and challenges.
What You’ll Do
- The successful candidate will take an active role in the introduction, manufacture, and testing of next generation optical instruments that power Eikon’s drug discovery pipeline.
- You will evaluate and optimize manufacturing processes, develop supporting tooling, and introduce new production tests and inspection procedures.
- You will also be responsible for cost-saving measures, cycle time improvements, and continuous improvement efforts.
- B.S. in optics, mechanical or industrial engineering or related field with at least 2 years of industry experience or M.S. with at least 1 year of industry experience.
- Proven track record of building and testing custom optical systems or components, preferably for volume manufacturing.
- Prior experience with characterizing optical systems, building optical measurement setups, designing experiments, and statistical data analysis to determine optical performance and quality.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality and familiarity with quality assurance techniques and manufacturing data.
- Commitment to health and safety standards and environmental regulations.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Good knowledge of tool design and typical assembly and test methods.
- Hands-on experience with solid state, diode, and fiber lasers is a plus.
- Hands-on experiences with opto-mechanical assemblies and systems is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with optical breadboard prototyping including fiber-optic assemblies and alignment is a plus.
- Any modern programming language for data acquisition, signal, and image processing is a plus.
- Familiarity with microscopy is a plus.
- Application of single particle tracking or TIRF is a plus.
At Eikon, employee compensation also includes bonus and equity compensation, in addition to several generous benefit programs, including:
- 401k plan with company matching
- Medical (premiums covered by Eikon at 95%), dental and vision insurance (premiums covered by Eikon at 100%)
- Mental health and wellness benefits
- Weeklong summer and winter holiday shutdowns
- Generous paid time off and holiday policies
- Life/AD&D Insurance (premiums covered by Eikon at 100%) and optional supplemental employee-paid life/AD&D policies
- Enhanced parental leave benefit
- Daily subsidized lunch program when on-site
The expected salary range for this role is $134,00 to $154,000 depending on skills, competency, and the market demand for your expertise.
Eikon is a pioneering drug discovery and development company that leverages superior engineering and high-performance computing to analyze single molecule protein behavior in living cells. We are engineering a battery of innovative tools and technologies for biological exploration in drug discovery and beyond.
Eikon thrives on the energy and creativity of interdisciplinary teams. We are physicists and chemists, biologists and engineers. We spend our days context-switching between multiple scientific languages. We work with lasers, super-resolution microscopes, and robot arms. We leverage machine learning, cell line engineering, and the collective intelligence of world-class scientists and technologists to observe therapeutically relevant biology in a way no one has before.
We’re endlessly curious, intellectually honest and we love what we do. We’re driven to learn the true mechanisms of biology and pharmacology at the molecular level, to make the biggest difference in as many lives as possible.
3929 Point Eden Way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert