Sr. Scientist, Computational Biology (Gene Therapy)
- Sana Biotechnology
- Cambridge, MA
- Start date
- Mar 19, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biology, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Genetown, Best Places to Work
About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel ideas. We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced computational biologist for our computational team, to work on exciting research projects involved with cell lineage and high-throughput characterization of target cells. As a Sr. Scientist, Computational Biology, you will be working in a vibrant research environment with other computational biologists, computational engineers, gene therapy scientists, as well as technical operations, and pharmacology groups. You should bring a thoughtful vision and the determination to implement that vision. You will have the opportunity to directly impact Sana's therapeutic scope and capabilities.
You will report to the Executive Director of Computational Biology. We prefer that you are a team player, fantastic at collaboration, and enthusiastic to learn new biological domains.
What you'll do
- Enable efforts of Gene Therapy group to create new therapeutics via use of computational methods
- Run and customize RNA-seq, scRNA-seq, ATAC-seq, and other NGS workflows, interpret biological significance of results, and assume responsibility for correctness
- Enable and execute analysis of high-throughput pooled functional screens that rely on NGS as primary readout.
- Document code, workflows, and analyses including study reports for nonclinical and clinical studies
- Communicate to a broad audience with a range of technical, analytical, and biological expertise and present results at different group meetings
What we're looking for
- PhD in computational biology, genetics, bioinformatics, statistics, or related discipline with 5+ years of academic or industry experience (or MS and 8+ years)
- Experience performing RNA-seq, scRNA-seq, ATAC-seq or other similar high throughput NGS analyses in mammalian cells
- Proficiency in Python and R; familiarity with git and collaborative coding
- Knowledge of common statistical methods in bioinformatics
- Someone who can help shape experimental design to ensure success
What will separate you from the crowd
- Deep understanding of lentiviral biology and lentiviral gene therapy vectors
- Understanding of wet lab processes and assay molecular biology
- Implement genomic analyses of diverse polyclonal cell populations, including lineage tracing and insertion site analysis
- Synthetic DNA library design and analysis experience
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud computing platforms
- Software engineering experience, including familiarity with software testing frameworks such as pytest or testthat
What you should know
- Remote work possible, but travel to Sana sites (Cambridge, SSF) will be required
- Working safely in person on a predictable and regular basis is an essential job function for this position, and the Company requires that all individuals working in-person be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- The base pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $180,000 and $210,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off (various paid time off benefits, such as holidays, vacation, sick time, and parental leave), short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually. For more details on our benefits, visit Sana’s Benefits Portal.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.
Sana Biotechnology, Inc. is focused on creating and delivering engineered cells as medicines for patients. We share a vision of repairing and controlling genes, replacing missing or damaged cells, and making our therapies broadly available to patients. We are a passionate group of people working together to create an enduring company that changes how the world treats disease. Sana has operations in Seattle, Cambridge, South San Francisco, and Rochester.
- Sana Biotechnology
188 East Blaine Street, Suite 400
Seattle, WA 98102
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert