Sr. Medical Science Liaison/ Medical Science Liaison, Hemophilia - Mid Atlantic Territory
- BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc.
- Working from Home
- Start date
- Mar 19, 2023
- Clinical, Medical Affairs
- Required Education
- Masters Degree/MBA
- Position Type
- Full time
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class or best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Hemophilia Medical Science Liaison (MSL or Sr. MSL) is a regional position supporting the scientific and business interests of BioMarin by cultivating current and future thought leaders in academic and clinical medicine at the local, regional and national level through in-depth, fair-balanced scientific discussions and interactions. The MSL will support clinical trials through company-sponsored research, the initiation and development of Investigator Research proposals (IRs) and support of BioMarin registries, safety studies and other clinical programs. These thought leader interactions will complement or supplement the overall Hemophilia product development plan. The MSL must possess in depth knowledge of BioMarin’s approved products, agents in the pipeline, and all associated disease state areas. The MSL must possess the capacity to coordinate and manage solo initiatives or partnerships with external partners independently or with a minimum amount of oversight. This position will report into the Global Medical Affairs department and work closely with the Commercial and the Clinical Teams.
- Develop and execute Hemophilia scientific plans within their region to meet company-defined goals within corporate and regulatory guidelines for products both marketed and in development
- Visit potential research sites to determine the site’s ability to conduct and accrue within clinical research studies and registries (i.e. patient volume, research experience, methodologies, competing studies)
- Implementation and coordination of external research (Investigator Research) intended to support the clinical and scientific strategy for the Hemophilia team
- Identify and build mutually beneficial long-term relationships with key Hemophilia Treatment Centers, Investigators and key institutions to address current and future business needs
- Support the clinical department by forwarding potential investigators for other BioMarin products in development
- Maintain clinical and technical expertise in Hemophilia therapeutic area; review scientific journals, attend scientific and key technical meetings and partner with medical, research and commercial teams
- Conducts and analyzes literature searches to provide clinical insights for North American Medical Affairs
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of both Hemophilia clinical strategies and priorities
- Deliver high quality, scientific and fair-balanced discussions and presentations on BioMarin products to physicians and other key external customers
- Provide medical support of BioMarin products during scientific symposia
- Identify and recommend speakers for BioMarin’s Speaker’s Bureau and Advisory Boards
- Assist in the site level management of the publication plan timelines
- Provide clinical education support for internal customers
- Proactively provides feedback on emerging clinical/competitive trends
- Assure compliance with BioMarin operational guidelines
- At least 3 years of hemophilia MSL experience preferred
- Ability to quickly and easily learn new scientific and technical information as well as ability to interpret key information and translate into educational and research needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Project management understanding and experience
- Position will require 60-75% travel for field and home office obligations
- Experience in product launch development and execution
- Experience in product strategy and execution
- Experience with US payer landscape and payer discussions/presentations
- Knowledge of regulations impacting Medical Affairs and field activities in the pharmaceutical industry
Advanced degree required (e.g. PharmD, PhD, etc.). Will consider Master’s degree, with extensive experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BioMarin is a global biotechnology company dedicated to transforming lives through genetic discovery. In 1997, the company was founded to make a big difference in small patient populations, focusing on giving much-needed attention to the underserved communities of those with rare diseases. BioMarin sought to help patients whose voices could not always be heard and treat conditions that were not always in mainstream medical conversations. Throughout its history, BioMarin has worked tirelessly to make a difference by pursuing bold science. The company’s first approved therapy was inspired by a father who refused to accept there was no therapy for his son’s rare diagnosis. That relentless pursuit to change the course of his son’s future through the power of science is at the core of who BioMarin is today.
Through the company’s expertise in genetics and molecular biology, BioMarin has developed eight first or best-in-class targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions it seeks to treat, helping to better the lives of those struggling with rare genetic disease. The company’s purposeful and scientifically precise team of physicians and scientists has honed each treatment modality to seek transformative therapies.
Now, BioMarin seeks to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled the last 25 plus years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Each drug candidate pursued is guided by a fundamental understanding of the genetics and underlying biology of the condition it will address. The company believes that applying its knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The more innovative solutions developed, the more lives BioMarin can impact.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert