- Avidity Biosciences
- San Diego, California
- Start date
- Mar 18, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biotechnology, Chemistry
- Required Education
- Position Type
- Full time
- Biotech Beach
Location: San Diego, California
Position type: Full Time
Required education: Ph.D. in organic/medicinal chemistry, biotechnology or related discipline
Area(s) of expertise: Organic synthesis, bioconjugation, oligonucleotide delivery, siRNA, ASO
At Avidity Biosciences, we are passionate about the impact of every employee in bringing potentially life-changing therapeutics to patients in need. Avidity is pioneering a new class of oligonucleotide-based therapies called AOCs designed to overcome the current limitations of oligonucleotide therapies to treat a wide range of diseases. We utilize our proprietary AOC platform to design, engineer and develop transformative therapeutics that combine the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) and the precision of oligonucleotide-based therapies to access previously undruggable tissue and cell types and more effectively target underlying genetic drivers of diseases. If you are a committed, solution-oriented thinker, come make a difference with us.
We are seeking a creative Scientist to join our team in San Diego. The successful candidate will play a key role expanding Avidity’s AOC oligonucleotide delivery platform. The position will shape research strategies, experimentally evaluate technologies, design molecules, and implement chemical solutions to create next generation AOCs. This person should be a strong team player, clear communicator, enjoys scientific discovery and works effectively in a collaborative interdisciplinary environment. The ideal candidate will have biotech/pharma experience with oligonucleotide and bioconjugate therapeutics. The candidate should demonstrate expertise in challenges facing oligonucleotide chemistry, tissue targeted delivery, and intracellular delivery.
• Identify technologies and devise approaches to assess their utility in enhancing AOC delivery.
• Design and synthesize linkers to facilitate bioconjugation of pharmacologically active moieties
• Utilize modern bioconjugation and purification techniques to produce next generation AOCs
• Establish analytical methods to confirm and characterize novel oligonucleotide conjugates
• Effectively collaborate with internal and external partners to meet project timelines
• Contribute to efforts to elucidate the mechanisms of AOC delivery
• Act as chemistry SME in project teams to optimize oligonucleotide conjugates for potency, stability, and related pharmacologic properties
• Contribute to project teams to develop sound strategies with key decision points to advance discovery projects through critical preclinical stage gates.
• Clearly communicate research results in both oral and written formats
Required Experience & Skills:
• Extensive hands-on bioconjugation experience of antibody, protein, peptide, and small molecule ligands
• Experience with bioconjugation of oligonucleotides to other modalities (e.g., antibody, protein, peptide, or carbohydrates)
• Demonstrate expertise on the mechanisms of and challenges with delivery of oligonucleotide-based therapeutics
• Possess working knowledge of drug discovery activities relevant to oligonucleotides: screening, in vitro & in vivo pharmacology, ADME, PK/PD, and toxicology.
• Deep understanding of intracellular pathways of oligonucleotide bioconjugates is a plus
• Expert in the purification and characterization biomolecules and bioconjugates of protein, antibody, peptide, and oligonucleotides.
• Proficient with laboratory techniques: SDS-PAGE, UV-VIS spectroscopy, and chromatography techniques (ion exchange, size exclusion, hydrophobic interaction chromatography, etc.) using FPLCs, HPLCs, and LCMS.
• Experience with automated synthesis of peptides and oligonucleotides is highly desirable
Qualifications, Required Experience & Skills:
• Ph.D. in organic chemistry, chemical biology, biotechnology or related discipline with experience in oligonucleotide, antibody, and bioconjugation
• 0-3+ years of postdoctoral or industry experience; M.S. with 7-10+ years of experience in biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical settings
• Proven ability to conduct self-directed research, and to work effectively in a dynamic team environment with diverse views
Salary Range: $114,000-$130,000
Our vision is to profoundly improve people’s lives by revolutionizing the delivery of RNA therapeutics. We’re utilizing our proprietary AOC platform to design, engineer, and develop therapeutics that combine the tissue selectivity of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) with the precision of oligonucleotide-based therapies in order to redefine RNA therapeutics and more effectively target underlying genetic drivers of diseases. We are delivering on this vision by investing in our platform, our pipeline and our people.
Our commitment to rigorous and innovative science is matched only by our passion to see patients’ lives changed. We consistently challenge ourselves to Be AVID – Agile, Visionary, Integrated and Diverse.
We are assembling a diverse team experienced in rare disease and RNA therapies. Our team members bring expertise in research, development and commercial execution. We are focused on cultivating the right team to not only grow the company, but also to reflect the communities we serve. We are dedicated to employing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce at all levels of the organization to not only ensure that different backgrounds and perspectives are being heard and acted upon, but that our employees also feel understood, accepted and valued.
10578 Science Center Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert