Scientist - Mass Spectrometry
- Eli Lilly and Company
- New York, New York
- Start date
- Mar 18, 2023
- Science/R&D, Biotechnology
- Required Education
- Bachelors Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
- Best Places to Work
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
At Lilly, we serve an extraordinary purpose. We make a difference for people around the globe by discovering, developing and delivering medicines that help them live longer, healthier, more active lives. Not only do we deliver breakthrough medications, but you also can count on us to develop creative solutions to support communities through philanthropy and volunteerism.
We are looking for an experienced Principal/Senior Principal Scientist with expertise in lipidomics/metabolomics and proteomics to join the Translational Biomarkers and Bioanalytics (TBB) team at Prevail Therapeutics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Eli Lilly.
The Principal/Senior Principal Scientist (Mass Spectrometry), Bioanalytical Development will have the primary responsibility to develop and validation LC/MS bioanalytical assays to assist our efforts to identify and advance the development of novel targets for neurodegenerative disorders.
The candidate will be enthusiastic, self- motivated, hands-on, scientists with excellent interpersonal skills who is comfortable working in an open environment spanning multiple functions.
You will participate in high impact lipidomics/metabolomics and proteomics projects, ranging from early research to the translation to patients.
The candidate will contribute to development and optimization of quantitative assays based on cutting-edge technology mass spectrometry for the detection of lipid and protein biomarkers in preclinical and clinical samples.
As part of a larger effort to identify disease state- and disease progression-biomarkers, the candidate will explore the development and validation of protein- or lipid- based assays for clinical interrogation.
In addition, the candidate will have the opportunity to learn and grow by contributing to a variety of projects.
- As a Principal/Senior Principal Scientist in the TBB team, a typical day might include the following:
- Developing and qualifying/validating assays supporting lipidomics/metabolomics (solid phase extraction, liquid-liquid extraction) and proteomics analysis to support clinical and non-clinical programs. Experience with developing and qualifying/validating quantitative assays in accordance with FDA guidance for measuring lipid and protein analytes using mass spectrometry highly desired.
- Participating in biomarker discovery for exciting neurological disorders
- Performing targeted protein and lipid MS assays using state-of-the-art LC-MS systems, including nano-LC, Orbitrap and TQMS platforms. Experience with other mass spectrometry platforms (Q-TOF, ion mobility etc).
- Establishing internal capabilities MS-based analysis; ideally including knowledge of shotgun lipidomics, fragmentation techniques, and correlated data processing and analysis software
- Maintaining a state-of-the art lipidomics/metabolomics and proteomics technology platform
- Working with databases such as HMDB & LIPID MAPS
- Designing, executing and interpreting lipidomics/metabolomics and proteomics studies
- Opportunity to cross-train on other platforms available in the team that are critical for development of a gene therapy drug product
- Presenting and communicating study results to the project teams
- MS degree with 3+ year experience or a BS degree 5+ of relevant experience in a role related to bioanalytical sciences or a similar field.
- Experience with writing/reviewing scientific documents, and reports, and contributing to regulatory submissions.
- Expertise in creative thinking and multitasking with strong communication skills and comfort in a fast-paced, matrix work environment.
- Serve as a liaison with other internal and external teams.
- Position Location: NYC, Prevail Therapeutics a wholly owned subsidiary of Eli Lilly.
- Lilly currently anticipates that the base salary for this position could range from between $61,500 to $160,600 and will depend, in part, on the successful candidate’s qualifications for the role, including education and experience. Full-time equivalent employees also will be eligible for a company bonus (depending, in part, on company and individual performance). In addition, Lilly offers a comprehensive benefit program to eligible employees, including eligibility to participate in a company-sponsored 401(k); pension; vacation benefits; eligibility for medical, dental, vision and prescription drug benefits; flexible benefits (e.g., healthcare and/or dependent day care flexible spending accounts); life insurance and death benefits; certain time off and leave of absence benefits; and well-being benefits (e.g., employee assistance program, fitness benefits, and employee clubs and activities).Of course, the compensation described above is subject to change and could be higher or lower than the range described above. Further, Lilly reserves the right to amend, modify, or terminate its compensation and benefit programs in its sole discretion and Lilly’s compensation practices and guidelines will apply regarding the details of any promotion or transfer of Lilly employees.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. Our current groups include: Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network, African American Network, Chinese Culture Network, Early Career Professionals, Japanese International Leadership Network (JILN), Lilly India Network, Organization of Latinos at Lilly, PRIDE (LGBTQ + Allies), Veterans Leadership Network, Women’s Network, Working and Living with Disabilities. Learn more about all of our groups.
As a condition of employment with Eli Lilly and Company and its subsidiaries in the United States and Puerto Rico, you must be fully COVID-19 vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination satisfactory to the company (subject to applicable law).
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert