Lead Infrastructure Engineer- Cloud Architect
- Emergent BioSolutions
- Gaithersburg, MD
- Start date
- Mar 18, 2023
- Information Technology, System Administration
- Required Education
- Associate Degree
- Position Type
- Full time
We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The Lead Infrastructure Engineer – Cloud Architect is responsible for the supervision of the company’s cloud computing systems. This involves working on cloud application designs and cloud approval plans required to manage cloud applications, storage and processes.
As a recognized expert in their field, the Cloud Architect serves as a guide and subject matter expert to help design, develop, and implement resilient, scalable, cost-effective solutions for a Hybrid Multi Cloud environment.
In addition, the Cloud Architect is responsible for identifying, prioritizing, & resolving critical issues impacting business operations. The engineer will proactively seek to communicate solutions to server related issues and preferred emerging technologies that can be used to improve the overall health of the cloud environment.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Responsible for the design, architecture, operation, and maintenance of the cloud environments; including maintaining all cloud systems including front-end platforms, servers, storage, & management networks.
• Create a well-informed cloud strategy and manage adaption process.
• Refine, evangelize, and deliver on Emergent’s multi-cloud operating model vision and strategy.
• Provide leadership implementing new solutions, migrating existing applications, software, and services.
• Create blueprints for hybrid cloud infrastructures incorporating network, compute, storage, middleware, and cloud-native features.
• Work closely with IT Security to monitor the company’s cloud privacy and risk.
• Identify the top cloud architecture solutions to successfully meet the strategic needs of the company.
• Conduct deep-dive “hands-on” education/training sessions to transfer knowledge to internal stakeholders interested in cloud providers such as Azure or AWS.
• Lead the adoption of Cloud practices and drive the institutionalization of the practices.
• Identify risk and mitigation plans associated with security, legal, data, compliance, and regulatory requirements.
• Lead delivery engagements as the hands-on Cloud subject matter expert to solve customer problems and produce excellent outcomes.
• Contribute to the development of internal best practices as well as new innovative consulting capabilities.
• Work closely with the Global IT server virtualization infrastructure team , including cluster hardware, virtualization software, monitoring, and server management in a hybrid Cisco/VMware/Microsoft environment.
• Forecast infrastructure resource requirements for IT cloud projects.
• Interpret audit findings and work with system administrators and developers to resolve open issues.
• Perform planning and execution of scheduled changes including developing and following written change installation procedures.
• Troubleshoots and resolves all issues impacting the global corporate network.
• Proactively communicates the status, plan of action(s), and resolution(s) of issues.
• Deliver effective presentations to a targeted audience.
• Ability to communicate with business and IT leadership at a business level and with engineers at a technical level and translate between the two.
• Leverage multiple communication channels for effective communication.
• Keep team members and peers well informed of changes applicable to them.
• Provide proactive and timely updates to reporting manager, associates, peers and other stake holders.
• Facilitate small group team meetings effectively.
• Actively participate in all department and company meetings.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university or equivalent functional work experience required.
• 15+ years of experience in combined roles of enterprise or technical architecture, cloud platform development, cloud strategy, IT strategy, or infrastructure strategy.
• 5+ years of experience designing, executing, and supporting IT cloud solutions.
• Excellent knowledge of cloud computing technologies and current computing trends.
• Microsoft Azure cloud experience required, AWS experience a plus.
• Working knowledge of VMWare ARIA/vRealize multi-cloud management platform
• Deep knowledge of deploying secure applications using containers.
• Hands-on experience with adjacent technology areas including Security, Identity / Access Management and Monitoring.
• Experience in the oversight for Infrastructure systems (including installing, configuring, troubleshooting, maintaining, and administering) the following infrastructure systems required: Windows, VMWare, and Virtualized Storage Architecture.
• Previous vendor management experience.
• Previous experience implementing IT infrastructure processes.
• Previous experience in managing multiple concurrent global IT infrastructure projects.
• Strong organization, time management, Project Management, and execution skills.
• Team-oriented and places a high value on cross-functional participation, values diversity, consensus, is decisive, establishes trust, communicates proactively, embraces and fosters change.
• Possess a strong sense of accountability and the ability to execute successfully in a complex and fast changing environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group including executives, managers, subject matter experts (SME) and vendors.
• Ability to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines.
- Successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously and adapt to changes within a dynamic environment
- Be aware of his/her own strengths and challenges and have the desire to seek constructive feedback and self-develop
- Must be tenacious while maintaining integrity and trust
- Familiarity with Organizational Change Management principles.
- Experience in pharma/bio-defense/bio-science industry is a plus.
- Experience with SAP and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing systems/environments,
- Working knowledge of controls for Compliance (SOX and GXP)
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Emergent BioSolutions is a global life sciences company whose mission is to protect and enhance life. Through our specialty products and contract development and manufacturing services, we are dedicated to providing solutions that address public health threats. Through social responsibility, we aim to build healthier and safer communities. We aspire to deliver peace of mind to our patients and customers so they can focus on what’s most important in their lives. In working together, we envision protecting or enhancing 1 billion lives by 2030. For more information visit www.emergentbiosolutions.com. Find us on LinkedIn and follow us on Twitter.
Stock Symbol: EBS
400 Professional Drive
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert